Leaders

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by cdalford, May 10, 2008.

1. cdalford

cdalford New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Was wondering what a good size leader was as far as length, max weight and such and where i could find em. I keep coming across small ones that don't really look like they would be worth much!

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just cut off a piece of 30-lb test mono and make my leaders, any where from 8 to 12 inches.

3. catfish ted

catfish ted New Member

State:
    Cantrall, Illinois
    I've been making 40 and 60 lb. leaders with coated stainless wire, and in-line weights. Lengths vary from 8 to 14 inches. Also using heavy-duty swivels, or cross-locks. These also have floats. Here's a picture, as an example.

4. catfish ted

catfish ted New Member

State:
    Cantrall, Illinois
    Apparently, unable to upload pictures at this time. Look at the other posting for Catfish Leaders I submitted, to see photos.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    No way to answer that really without knowing details.

I use a 2 foot, 50lb mono leader, snelled knots. I use that on slinky/ float rigs while drifting. Pretty rare for me to use a leader under 18 inches for any of my rigs.

-Jim-

6. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 30lb mono with heavy swivels and snelld hooks 12 to 18 inches in length

7. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I make my own. I use the Berkely Steelon leader material in 60lb. I use aluminum saltwater crimps and ball bearing swivels.

Where I fish there are lots of rocks and submerged structure, so I like to make my leaders from 18'' to 24''

Attached Files:

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think steel leaders are the way to go when fishing for big fish and/or fishing heavy cover. I'm not talking about steel leaders with snap swivel attachments or with crimped ends. When I used those years ago I lost fish to pulled open swivels and pulled out crimps. I use a product now (and have for years) that hasn't failed me yet. It is from American Fishing Wire, and it is called Surflon Micro Supreme nylon coated miniature 7x7 (49 strand) knottable stainless steel leader wire. You can actually cut it to size with wire cutters and use conventional knots to make attachments. It also comes in a camo (brown) color which I prefer. It comes in a variety of lb. tests and I like the 40 and 65lb. test for big fish. It is very flexible and kink resistant for wire and the fact that you can tie knots with it sold me. I get it from Cabelas, but it it is probably available elsewhere as well. I hope this helps some of you out there land some big fish, just please take some pics and let 'em go and let 'em grow if you do catch a biggun'.

9. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I just make my own leaders out of left over line from stringing my reels.

10. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used to have to have the same problem with crimps failing until I switched to the aluminum saltwater crimps. I've tested my leaders up to 100 pounds and the leader material has always been the first to break. Can't go wrong with the saltwater stuff.