leaders

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by spinnerbait, May 3, 2008.

1. spinnerbait

spinnerbait New Member

State:
    virginia
    Does anyone make your own leaders?If so what kind of sleeves do you use?I heard the round sleeves are not very good and you should use double barrel or oval sleeves.If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

2. spinnerbait

spinnerbait New Member

State:
    virginia
    A BAD DAY OF FISHIN IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Barry!

:0a25:

Now about those leaders, yes, I've tied a few. I'm getting lazy, though, and don't go to that much trouble anymore.

I always keep a double-drop rig on hand that I purchased from Walmart for around a dollar; I never have used it yet.

I do purchase and use the snelled hooks. I tie a barrel swivel with interlock snap to my fishing line, then attach both the weight tied to one leader and the baited snelled hook to the snap. The weight leader is just longer than the snelled hook to keep the bait slightly off of the bottom.

I haven't found that I have needed too much precision in my rigging. If you are doing large lake or river fishing, however, there may be more requirements to get it right.

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I use 60 lb flourocarbon leaders and tie it direct to a barrel swivel using a Polomar or improved clinch knot. It takes a little time to cinch the knots down correctly but I've never had one fail. You can always add a drop of Super Glue to the knot if you're concerned that it will pull out.

Tight lines.

5. spinnerbait

spinnerbait New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks to all of you who responded.Allof your info was very helpful!

6. spinnerbait

spinnerbait New Member

State:
    virginia
    A BAD DAY OF FISHIN IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!!!!

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Barry, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web!! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there. I always use and tie my own leaders. I use premium salt water ande in 50 or 80 lb. test for my leaders. I use a #2 spro power swivel and really like them. I use palomar knots on all my carolina rigs. I tie rigs from 4 inches to three feet long depending on the situation i'm fishing.