Leaders?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Rottdog, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone, I had a quick question as far as leaders go. I think I have read on here somewhere that you should make your leaders out of lighter test line than your main, is that the correct way to do so? If so what are the reasons for using different strength lines and not the same throughout your rig?

Thanks to everyone who may respond.
    Garrett

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd use a heavier line for a leader. The leader is what will be rubbing up against the rocks,trees,snags and fish. Thats just why I use a heavier one though. I'd say you'll get a lot of different answers to this though.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I also would suggest a heavier leader. However. if you are using a 3 way, then the leader to your weight should be the lightest you can get away with using. That way, if it gets snagged, it is easy to break that line and get the rest of your rig back.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use lighter line on my leaders so that if i get hung up on tree with my hook only hook will break off.
    i change my leaders very often though.

5. Crazy_Cooter

Crazy_Cooter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Some would say that using a lighter leader will help prevent spooking the fish, but I don't think that catfish are that sensative to line size, or even weight for that matter. I use 60lb braided mainline, and a 17lb mono leader, but thats just one of the crazy things I do. 17lb is plenty big enough for the size of fish that I catch. But, I also agree with fishhauler, I would rather re-tie a new leader and hook than a whole slip rig.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I use the same as my mainline because its what i already have. simple:wink:

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use 65# or 80# Power Pro for my mainline and either 30# or 50# mono for my leaders to hooks and weights.

Some explanation may be called for:
    I use the Power Pro for reasons other than the high pound test.
    Smaller diameter means better casting and less drag in current. It also means I can fit more line on the reel.
    No stretch means easier hook-sets even at long distances.
    However, the braid isn't very abrasion resistant, so:

I use the mono leaders for abrasion resistance. The mono is still a bit heavy for the rest of the gear. My drag is set at about 15 or 20#, so even with some abrasion I still won't stress the leader to the breaking point.

8. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I agree with the theory that the leader will take the most abuse and should be heavier. I use 30 lbs Cajun or Berkley Big Game for my mainline and 50 - 60lbs Berley leader mono for my leaders.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. Especially with Berkley Big Game.:lol: :big_smile:

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i tried something new for my leaders last time i went out because a couple times the time before i had fish saw threw my leaders while fighting them.
    I put some shrink tubing over the knot so that fish will not work the line over there.
    i will post some pics of this later.
    Oh, i also snell all my hooks so this could be one of the reasons for that problem.

11. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    IMO:
    There really is no "right" answer here for everybody, depends on what size cats, location, current(river) or waves/wind(lakes), structure, technique, etc.
    I mainly fish shallow, in flooded timber, on windy lakes (north Texas) for larger blue cats. Carolina rig only. Bait clickers. Tie polamar knots whenever I can. As compared to losing a big fish, losing a weight and swivel means nothing to me. I always use a heavier leader. I keep about 10-15 leaders pretied from swivel to hook, then its a simple matter of slipping on the weight and bead to the main line, tie it to the leader ... back fishing. If the cost of a weight and swivel bought in bulk is going to keep me from fishing, I may have bigger issues to worry about than locating ole mr. whiskers. For casting ability and having enough line (baitcaster) I use 25 lbs Ande (mono, low memory) as mainline, and 40-50 lbs. mono for leader.
    I've see the braid snap to much when a good fish is on in the stumps, trees, rocks.
    A scene I've seen more than once:They set the hook on a good one in shallow water, the water boils, big blue tail slaps the water, rod is doubled over, they go to hollering, I never move for the net, fish wraps or rubs against a tree or stump or rocks ... snap! The cussing begins and I say, "roll of mono in my tackle box."
    Now, if you happen to fish when such things are not a concern ... then it really does not matter, just roughly match pound test to the biggest possible fish you think you can catch ... braid, mono, whatever. Don't be concerned about which the fish prefers ... people have been catching catfish on rope for ages. (nylon)

12. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use the same as my main line. I just cut a piece off. That way I dont have to keep up with anything else like a spool of line. I have pre tied some leaders and used heavier line but I'm not sure it helps me any.