Leaders

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Stlnifr, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you were fishing with 25 lb test mono what type leader woud you use with it, store bought or one you made up your self. If you made it what pound test would you use to go with the 25 lb line?

2. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    george if youre fishing at santee i whould recomend 50lb leader an the reson is every time you make a knot you weeken the line so more is better as a rule allways double your leder size for what line your using it is more abraysion resistant.

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I only use mono. My mainline is 25# Ande, make my own leaders. Currently using 50# Cajun as leader material. Using Cajun mainly because I found a good deal on a small spool of it. As far as leaders goes, I'll never use less than 40#. I mostly fish a basic carolina rig, with swivel.

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Leaders depend mainly on the conditions you fish in..
    ~ I personally use a leader thinner than the main line, so when I snag, I can get my swivel, and weight back.

When I fish cut bait, I use braided leaders because they are softer and less constrictive. I will use mono usually Berkley Vanish for live bait.
    ~A

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use 30, 40, 50, and 80 lb leaders, partly depending on where I'm fishing and what is likely to take a bait. Usually, the 30 lb leaders are on my reels loaded with 12-15 lb test. I use the heavier leaders on my rods loaded with 20 and 30 lb test line. The rule of thumb about using a leader twice the line weight doesn't always make sense. For the most part, a leader in the 30-50 lb range is more than adequate for the way most of us fish and the fish we catch. I go to the 80 lb leaders most often when I know there are large gar over 20 lbs that may take the bait. I'd do the same if fishing heavy structure and for big fish.

But, in the end, it doesn't matter much whether you use the 30 or higher test leader from the view point of the cat fish. Catfish aren't very line shy. I've not noticed a drop off in the number of catfish that will take a bait on 80 lb test leaders than on lighter ones, except, maybe, in very clear water.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

For most of my fishing I use the same weight line as my main line. If I am fishing Santee are another "big fish' water I up the weight of my leader. I make mine sometimes as needed and sometimes ahead of time.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I'm using power-pro 80# for a main line. I started with spiderwire fusion in 80#. I now use the leftover Fusion as my leaders cause it ties easier knots and is a tad thicker with the coating than the power-pro. I have a spool in my box and just make leaders as I need them. I don't trust leaders tied by a machine, and besides I might want one a little longer or shorter than the ones I can buy, on any given day.