Leaders

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by SURFPREP, Sep 22, 2009.

1. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Bank fishing questions.

What type of leaders do you use?

How long?

Thanks,

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #40 Cajun red for my leader and #65 Power Pro for my main line. I usually make the leader 12-18" long.

3. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a 50lb Berkley Big Game 18" leader with a #3 swivel

4. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Depends on the situation. Heavy current I use shorter leaders. Little or no current I use longer leaders. Using a float slip float I use a very short leader so during long casts it does not hang up.

5. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I make my leaders with 20# line and for the heavier ones I use a 50# line. All about 10" of line.

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use a 16" leader, 20# main line (mono) and 20# leader.

7. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    It appears that no one uses steel leaders. I would think they they are the best for fishing the river because of mono getting frayed on the rocks.

Does anyone use steel?

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    nope,I don't use steel leaders except when fishing for toothy fish that can cut the line. I use 20# mono for 90% of my catfishing around 10 inches to three feet long depending on where I'm fishing,and the other 10% of my fishing is with a 50 lb mono leader of varying lengths to coincide with the area fished. I do use a mono line with a high abraision resistence,just to help out,and I always use a higher # test main line,that way if snagged or hung up I can break off and not leave a bunch or yards of heavy braid in the water.