Leaders

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by SURFPREP, Sep 22, 2009.

  1. SURFPREP

    SURFPREP New Member

    Messages:
    88
    State:
    KY
    Bank fishing questions.

    What type of leaders do you use?

    How long?

    Thanks,
     
  2. alton

    alton New Member

    Messages:
    1,045
    State:
    Illinois
    I use #40 Cajun red for my leader and #65 Power Pro for my main line. I usually make the leader 12-18" long.
     

  3. Brandon829

    Brandon829 New Member

    Messages:
    133
    State:
    Kentucky
    I use a 50lb Berkley Big Game 18" leader with a #3 swivel
     
  4. LMHart

    LMHart New Member

    Messages:
    425
    State:
    Oklahoma City
    Depends on the situation. Heavy current I use shorter leaders. Little or no current I use longer leaders. Using a float slip float I use a very short leader so during long casts it does not hang up.
     
  5. ammo warrior

    ammo warrior Member

    Messages:
    868
    State:
    Columbia, MO
    I make my leaders with 20# line and for the heavier ones I use a 50# line. All about 10" of line.
     
  6. SWeiss

    SWeiss New Member

    Messages:
    751
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use a 16" leader, 20# main line (mono) and 20# leader.
     
  7. SURFPREP

    SURFPREP New Member

    Messages:
    88
    State:
    KY
    It appears that no one uses steel leaders. I would think they they are the best for fishing the river because of mono getting frayed on the rocks.

    Does anyone use steel?
     
  8. playin4funami

    playin4funami New Member

    Messages:
    4,104
    State:
    Saronville Ne.
    nope,I don't use steel leaders except when fishing for toothy fish that can cut the line. I use 20# mono for 90% of my catfishing around 10 inches to three feet long depending on where I'm fishing,and the other 10% of my fishing is with a 50 lb mono leader of varying lengths to coincide with the area fished. I do use a mono line with a high abraision resistence,just to help out,and I always use a higher # test main line,that way if snagged or hung up I can break off and not leave a bunch or yards of heavy braid in the water.