leaders

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by THE PAN MAN, Aug 9, 2009.

1. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    has anybody had any luck with steel leaders? i have never used em. i have a few but am not real fond of how the hook just clips on. maybe in a creek for channels with worms but i usually catch my own bait and fish on the missouri river. any good or bad opinions of the steel leaders id sure like to hear what yall think

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i use steel leaders as heavy as i can find. lately they just been 30 lb. one thing i will do is after i clip on my hook i use my pliers to crimp down the tab so it will help prevent it from commin un clipped. i aint had a prob yet with em.

3. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Ya I got sum too. Good to hear sum1 has luck with em

4. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    If you're going to use steel leaders you might as well make your own. It will be cheaper in the long run and you won't have any aggravating snap swivels to deal with if you put your hook in the end of the leader.

Only time I've ever used them is in saltwater.

5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use the heavy duty black bottom rigs with the two hook option. I attached a 18-24" 60lb mono leader to the top twisted wire, leave the lower wire unused and attach a 3-5 oz weight to the bottom swivel. I have caught fish from 2lbs-62lbs on this set up with no problems

6. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have some but quit using them after heard a buddy few years ago hook gut a blue and had to cut the line so there was a hook and 12 inch steel leader in the blue that is why a make my own--as for clip coming opened take a pair of pillers and clap the tabs together that should help