leaders

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by THE PAN MAN, Aug 9, 2009.

1. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    anybody ever use a steel leader and had any luck? i have a few of em but dnt much care how the hook snaps on. dont think i would trust it much. maybe for channels but dnt knw bout the rest.

2. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    i use malin 7+1 for trot lines but that would get expensive for leaders for that i use 100 lb mono from bass pro

3. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Isaiah i have a buddy by the name of TheMadCatter you may have seen him on here a time or 2 when you get the chance hit em up i think he uses that leader line

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  4. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I use 50 lb. mono with a 65 lb. Braid main line.

I have fished with the MADCATTER and he seems to hook up fine with his steel leaders. He does not use the snaps. He takes them off and uses a different connection. Kinda like a small key chain hoop.

Hope this helps:big_smile:

5. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    I used to use the steel leaders, but I quit using them. Not only do the snaps tend to break or come open, but the barrel clamp used on the other end has also given out on me in the past. I've gone to using a 40-50# mono with 80# braided main line.

6. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yes i use steel leaders most of the time, and do find that the snaps and swivels are garbage.
    i use 60 pound (and up) test leaders and cut the snaps and swivels off and use size 7 (and up) split rings to hold my hook on one end and securethe other end of it to an end on a 3 way swivel (the bigger sizes). if your gonna cut the swivel off of these you gotta attach them to something that does swivel (like the 3 way) or else when the current spins the bait it will twist up the line and end up breaking if anything of size does hit it. once you get rid of the garbage swivel and snap they are way stronger, but they arent unbreakable by any means. i have popped many steel leaders off at the loop.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  7. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Brandon have you tried to make your own steel leaders use malin from bass pro cut and crimp to any length cheaper than buying manufactured ones

8. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yes i have made my own leaders for shark fishing in the past. buying stuff in bulk to make them properly can be expensive though, especially when your dealing with 425 pound test leader line. but for this lower grade stuff it would be easy, and probably cheaper to make them myself, the fact is that i get 3 black coated 60lb test leaders for about $1.25 per pack, or about 42 cents each ( less if i buy in bulk). it ends up being a little more expensive, but i like the fact its one less thing i have to make, and have space for.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Overkill for catfishing in my opinion. But would come in handy to push up into blood bait. 40+ lb. mono leaders are plenty stout and abrasion resistant for most situations.