Leaders...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigkat7698, Jul 22, 2009.

1. bigkat7698

bigkat7698 New Member

State:
    Bowling Green KY
    I fish with power pro braid on all my reels but only started fishing for big cats in the past year and have a few questions about leaders. I never thought I needed a leader until I started reading about them on here and it seems most who are going after large blues and flats use them. I have seen some wire leaders in stores and I have heard you guys talk about shock leaders could someone please point me in the right direction (replys,pm's,drawings,links,ect...) on what leader/setup I need to be using....Thanks bigkat:confused2:

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Since you are using a braid I would for sure use a mono leader. That way when you do get snagged the mono will break and you won't have to cut the braid. The leader also will allow for a little streatching, while braids typically do not streach and on a hook set you could rip the hook out of the mouth. I have 80# power pro on one of my rigs and use 20# mono for my leaders.

3. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I like 30 lb. braid. I'm still using a roll of Berkeley Gorilla that been around a few years.

The reason I like it is because it is so flexible. I want the hook to turn easy when the cat is starting to mouth it. The only fish I try for is the channel cats that normally run from 1 to 3 lbs.

I think a lot of this is like argueing car makes. Some people like Fords, some like Chevy. :wink:

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 Power Pro and #40 Cajun red mono leaders. Good luck.

5. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I use cajun red lightning 50lb for topshot and leader.Works really well.But,I
    havent caught anything over 40lbs yet either.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use a short mono leader 60#.I mainly use it so I can break off without killing myself with the 80 or 100# braid.Get hung up sooner or later.:wink:

7. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I prefer fluorocarbon leaders. They are more abrasion resistant than mono or braid. There is also nothing wrong with plain old dacron for a leader. If you are in an area where snags are a problem use a leader that is lighter than your main line so you can break it without damage to the main line. If snags are rare use a heavier leader than your main line for the abrasion resistance. Just my $.02

8. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I use 65lb. Power Pro on a couple of my reels and always use a 30lb. mono leader with it. Tried tieing the hook the the braid would rip the hook from the cats mouth everytime I set the hook using J hooks. Might have been impatients on my part but I could tell the braid had no streatch.