Leaders for channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Mar 25, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    is it better to use mono or braided leaders for channels

curious cause they have teeth

i fish where there are reeds and rocks too

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    For channels I would probably go with the mono. Why do you use a leader? Just curious. I really don't use them unless I'm targeting Pike or sometimes Walleye. I normally use the steel leaders so the fish dont burr up my line or worse bite clean through it! I wouldn't think a channelcat would do that though.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm gonna start using them on my bank poles

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Leroy just use a good brand of Mono. Berkley Big Game 30-50# test. This will do the job for you.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i was always using leaders but do u need them for channels??? :confused2:

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well i have 50 pound braided spider wire .... is that goood

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Due to the abrasive nature of the teeth, it's better to use a mono or fluorocarbon leader. I've had 3-4lb channels abrade a 30lb superline leader, where it had to be changed after each fish.
    Will

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Spider wire is not so good as a leader. It tends to abraid badly. Steel is overkill.

Simply tie on a swivel, then add a 18" leader of good mono at least the same strength of the mainline.

Be sure not to crank the drag down tight, but properly set it to slip. The weakest link is the rod. Use the drag to protect the rod by setting the drag to slip at 25% of the rated strength of the rod.

If the rod is rated for 30 pound line, set the drag to slip at 25% of 30 lbs, or 7.5 lbs.

To set the drag, run the line through all of the guides and tie to a small bucket setting on the bathroom scales. Fill the bucket with water until the calculated weight is in the bucket. Adjust the drag so that it just slips when the bucket is lifted from the scales.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use mono leaders.

10. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use #35 braided berkley gorzilla for channels.

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    so i would set my reel to about 3 pounds of drag even when using 8 # line

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mono is fine for channel cat leaders. I use 40# leaders on 20# main line. It will land any catfish out there.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 30# pwer pro with 20# big game for a leader. kind of overkill for channels, but it helps land the blues when they get on there.
    on the leader getting worn down, just check it after each fish, or after each snag! (or turtle)

14. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    catfish ROLL. haha i dont know of a fish that rolls more when its hooked. line twist might not seem like much now but down the road its killer when you hook a small fish only to have it snap your line like nothing...i always use 20lb mono for my leaders when im catchin channels

15. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use the spider wire sometimes, but I never have used a leader.

16. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I normally use 80lb power pro for my main line. and 50lb big game for my leader. I like my leader to be lighter than my mainline. so if the hook gets hung up I still get my weight back, because it is above the swivel on my main line. I like powepro because it is low diameter and high test strength. That way even if i'm fishing for channels I stand a chance against an unexpected flathead or blue.

17. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I use leaders fishing for channels and blues but for a different reason. I make up a leader like a trot line staging using Berkley Gorilla brade. This allows me to take the hook off or the staging from the swivel. If a fish swallows the hook I just cut the leader and replace it. This requires some preparation but works easier and faster when you are fishing.

18. Connour

Connour New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use either berkely big game or berkeley big cat for leaders and have never had a problem. When fishing for channels for the table I just use 20 or 25 pound test.

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Ive always used the eagle claw 9 inch 30lb test premade leaders.

20. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I have and always told people that your leader is a must as is a swivel. I alway use double the test for my leaders 40 main line 80 lb leader Mono always. All the rigs I make are mono leaders and I have so far never had a leader break.