Leaders fo Blue Cats?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by mcwrestler, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have fished for cats for a long time, always with mono leaders around 30lb test but I was wondering if a steel leader would hurt my hookups. I did some saltwater fishing and I happen to have some steel leader and hooks left over that I am thinking about using. I tried the other day and hooked a blue that was around 30lbs but it got off near the bank. 2 years ago I hooked my biggest blue ever with a steel leader but that does not mean it is the best way. Would using the steel leader hurt my chances?

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I used to use steel leaders too but changed back to mono. No it will not hurt your chances of catching fish. The steel leader will not flex like mono will and if you are using a 3way swivel for you rig like I do; I have noticed that the lead line has a tendancy to wrap around a steel leader more than mono leader. If you are just using a drift rig set up then there is no difference in them.

3. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    go to this thread All Catfishing/the catfishing rigs I use to see the rigs.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey using a steel leader wouldnt effect your chance of catching some fish, hopefully you will be getting some good hook ups and be able to get the fish in Good luck.

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I use 40 lb test mono for my leaders while fishing for blues. I don't think there is a need for going with steel. But if it works for you and your confident with it then use it.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't think the steel leader would hurt a thing. i use 50 pound mono for leaders, the two have to feel about the same in a cat's mouth.

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I don't think steel leaders hurt your hook up ratio at all, especially when fishing for big fish. I actually think using steel leaders will help you put more big fish in the boat. I'm not talking about steel leaders with swivel attachments or with crimped ends. When I used those years ago I lost fish to pulled open swivels and pulled out crimps. I use a product now (and have for years) that hasn't failed me yet. It is from American Fishing Wire, and it is called Surflon Micro Supreme nylon coated miniature 7x7 (49 strand) knottable stainless steel leader wire. You can actually cut it to size with wire cutters and use conventional knots to make attachments. It also comes in a camo (brown) color which I prefer. It comes in a variety of lb. tests and I like the 40 and 65lb. test for big fish. It is very flexible and kink resistant for wire and the fact that you can tie knots with it sold me. I get it from Cabelas, but it it is probably available elsewhere as well. I hope this helps some of you out there land some monster fish, just please take some pics and let 'em go and let 'em grow if you do catch a monster.