? # Leader vs ? # Main Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Wabash River Bear, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    After reading several posts in "Neocats" fishing line survey, I am a bit confused. I see that everybody uses a heavier leader than main line. I have been taught the opposite and it always made sense to me. I pretty much run a Carolina rig and if I have to break off on a snag my theory is that I want it to break below the swivel, only losing the leader line and hook, and leaving me the swivel, bead sinker stopper, and slip no-roll sinker.
    Am I totally wrong here? Can ya'all tell me why it should be the other way around? Thanks, WRB.

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I WAS TAUGHT THAT WHEN TROUT FISHING (8LB) MAINLINE AND (6LB) LEADER TO NOT FRIGHTEN THE FISH

WHEN CATFISHING ALOT OF PEOPLE USE A HEAVIER LEADER TO TAKE THE ABUSE OF THEM RUNNING U INTO SNAGS OF STRUCTURE

BUT ALOT OF PEOPLE USE A LIGHTER LEADER TO KEEP THEIR TERMINAL TACKLE

IVE DONE IT BOTH WAYS AND BOTH WORKED FOR ME BUT NOW I USE THE SAME LBAGE FOR BOTH JUST 1 IS MONO AND THE OTHER IS BRAID

WHATEVER ***!!!YOU!!!*** FEEL MOST COMFORTABLE WITH WORKS THE BEST :wink::wink::wink:

3. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    Good question. My theory is that the leader is so short that a lot of pressure is concentrated there and when you have a big boy on, you want a heavy leader to absorb the shock. Just my theory though.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My leaders are purely for abrasion not for breaking points.

A example is my Abu 7000. I run #30 mono on it because it fits good on the reel and will pull most any fish up. I need the #50 leader for abrasion no matter what but to do it your way I would have to run a mainline over #50..... I wouldn't want that on my reel.

Now on my spinning gear I run braid # 50-65 main line ( I always use a higher mainline than my leader ). I do prefer my mono leader to break 1st with braid....cheaper to replace the leader than the braid.

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i use the heavier leader just for casting distance. i run 20 lb test braid so 40lb mono is for distance and abrasion.

6. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I also use a heavier lb. test for my leaders vs. my mainline. I usually use 40 lb. mono mainline and 65 lb. knottable steel leader. The leader is usually what contacts rocks, trees, and a big fishes teeth, all of which can lead to line breakage. I just would rather lose my terminal tackle if hung than take the risk of losing a big fish because of a weak leader. Also, if you get hung while in a boat you can usually go downstream of where you're hung and get it out, as long as you don't really dig in the hook in beforehand. Good luck fishin'.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use the same for both. A lighter leader doesn't take advantage of the full strength of your main line. A heavier leader would cause your main line to break first.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Barry,I sometimes use a lighter test leader for the reasons you mentioned. I also just clip a piece off of my mainline and use it for leader material. I wouldnt think of using a heavier leader than my mainline. If it snags ,I would loose the whole thing.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have posted this before but, I have to say it again, LOL!!!

Why would you go out and spend all that money on an expensive line to put on your reel, only to basicly fight the fish with an infearier leader line. The leader is the part that takes all the abuse in the fight. If you are worried about sinkers and swivels you might be in the wrong game, LOL!!! I throw lines into places that "I know that it ain't comin back" unless a fish hits it, that's the name of the game!!!

It would be like starting a race in a 2000hp race car and finishing the last lap on a moped, LOL!!!

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I guess what I am trying to say is;

If you go out and buy 80# PowerPro line (which is very expensive) then put a 50lb mono leader on it, you are fighting that fish with a 16" section of 50lb line. 16"s of 50# mono won't hold 50#s. Therefore you have wasted your money!!!

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The rule of thumb when using mono on the main line is to use equal to or greater strength leader line. As mentioned in the previous posts it is used for abrasion resistance. A leader is also a necessary evil when using carolina rigs and other riggings. On the reels I have 30 lb. mono on the main line I use 50 lb. for leaders. The reels I run 40. lb. mono on I use 50 or 80 lb. mono for leaders.

The only time I will ever run smaller lb. test than the main line is for sinker drops on some riggings. That way if it hangs you will only lose the sinker and not a hooked fish or the whole rig.

Braids I run a little different. I run 65 lb. power pro for awhile but stayed with 50 lb. mono leaders. In most situations 50 lb. leaders are plenty. I have also switched some of my reels to 100 lb. power pro and went to 80 lb. mono leaders. I use this set up when fishing heavy timber. I will crank the drag down and be able to horse a fish out before it has time to wrap around something. I have brought in fish, log and all with this set up as well:smile2:.

You will just have to set up for the type of fishing and the size of fish you are targeting.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    abrasion resistance shoot most of the scrapes on my line are feet from my hook not inches although my leader takes it too. i run the same or whatever i got on hand.