Leader to line

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Kutter, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Where do those of you who attach your leader to the line by means of a "needle" with eye near the point, find those needles?
    I've always just tied the lines together, but this way appears to have a bit less to "catch" on things such as seaweed.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bass Pro Shops did have them in store, in there fly department. I'll do some more checking for you.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tom, I am not tracking on this setup?

Post a link to the Bass Pro Site with a similar rig?

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    After digging a little harder, I am thinking perhaps there is no such needle. Perhaps what is used is a regular sewing needle, poked through the end of the line and angled out. Then the needle could be reversed and the eye end poked through the hole just made, the leader passed through the needle eye and the needle is then pulled out, bringing the leader with it. The leader then could be pulled it's full length almost to the end. The last bit could be glued and then pulled into the line and allowed to dry.
    David Whitlock once had something like this in one of his books, but I can't remember which book. He called it "No Knot" or something like that.

Try as I might, I can't find any special needle for this application and am only guessing that the above would work with a regular needle.

Wait, I just thought of something. Would needles made for sewing machines have the eye down near the point?

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
  6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom I found the item at Dunns Sporting Good store in Marion, Il. today. They are cheap and come four to a pack. Two large and two small. PM me your address info and I will pick you up a pack and send to you.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yep, that was exactly what I was looking for. Looks like the same article I read a long time back, cept' this one has pic's.
    Many thanks & a rep for ya

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Mickey, I have a Dunns just down the road in Peavely, I'll check it out this week. If they don't have them here or can get them sent here, I'll PM ya.
    Thanks & a Rep