Leader strength

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cliff n york, Oct 12, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    do you use the same weight line for your leader, are use a lighter line in case of hang ups.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you are using mono and tying a carolina rig then your leader should be equal or geater strength than your main line. I use 50 lb. mono for all my leaders and run 30 lb. on the main line on some reels and 65 lb. braid on the others.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I use the same size because its what i have. the leader will usually break before the main line.

4. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Depending on where I am fishing and the type of structure. If no snags I use the same line. If there are snags then I will use a leader just 2-5lbs lighter so if it does break I will get most of my rig back.

5. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    20 lb. mono line with 30 lb. leader here.:cool2:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats why I use a heavier leader.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i do not understand the logic in using a lighter leader than your mainline. this is the most critical part of your line. when you lose a big cat because your leader broke, maybe you will get it.

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I use 25 # for my main line and 50 # leader.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i was refering to when snaged i dont believe ive broke off a fish i use at least 40# leader

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    When choosing a leader line, you must think about what it does for you.
    You spend alot of money to buy the best line (In Your Oppinion) that you are comfortable with. You want it to be strong and abrasion resistant. For instance:
    PowerPro 50# : not real abrasion resistant but very strong and very expensive.
    Berkley BG 50#: Good abrasion resistance and fairly stong for the money you spend.

Now to pick your leader:
    This is the line that takes all the punishment at the business end of your line. It gets beat by rocks, drug through logs and trees and, gets rubbed by the plates in the fishes mouth.

To put a lighter line than your mainline would be very unwise IMO.

Let me explain why.
    Now that you have done your research and came up with that expensive mainline that you are confident in, why would you want to fight a fish with an inferior line at the end of it. If you put an 18in. 20# leader on an expensive 50# mainline, you are essentually fighting that fish with 20# line anyway. So why did you buy the big line in the first place?

This is why I use 20# and 40# mono mainlines and 50# to 80# leaders.

11. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    On most of my rigs I use 40 lb. mono as the mainline and at least 65 lb. braid as the leader. Like you've already heard, the leader takes most of the abrasion from snags, rocks, and a big cat's teeth. I would rather lose some tackle than a really big cat, so I use a stronger leader. I sometimes get hung up and lose a hook, swivel, weight, etc. but that's a risk I'm willing to take. I have no doubt that I wouldn't have landed some of the bigger cats I've caught if my leader would have been smaller than the mainline. I also check my mainline and leader before each trip and replace the leader and re-tie knots if necessary.

12. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use 50lb or 40lb main line on the reel and a 30lb leader between the swivel and the hook. It works for me and I don't lose very many weights that way. The only time I do lose one is when the weight gets hung. The 30lb big game is plenty strong to land the fish I catch as long as the drag works well, it should land any cat that dosen't hang me up on a snag. I have landed flatheads up to 38.5 lb so far on this setup. I have broke fish off but most of the time it was due to my line being scraped up by under water rocks and concrete and I did not replace the leader when I should have. Now I chech the leader every time I reel in and check my bait.

13. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    My leader depends on what I am fishing for and where I am trying to catch it.

In most cases, my leader will be stronger and tougher than my main line. I often fish in places that is nothing but snags. I agree with almost everything above. The leader takes the punishment so it must be adequate to do the job. Rather than starting with the main line and working to the hook, I do it the other way around. I determine what leader strength I need to land a fish. In most cases my leader will be heaver than my main line. When fishing where I often fish there is nothing but snags. My leader will be lighter than my main line so it will break first on a snag. On a Carolina rig, the weight line will be half of what my main line is. That does not mean my leader is inferior to my main line or not heavy enough to handle the fish. I want my line holding the sinker to break if it is hung. I also want the leader to break before my main line. I use a swivel between my three way and my hook(s). The line between the swivel and the hook may be ten pounds lighter than the line between the three way and the swivel.

My point is, if it is hangy, I may use forty pound leader and sixty five pound test main line. If it is not handy, I may use forty pound test leader and twenty five pound test line. Same leader, just maybe a different reel with different main line. The leader is always as tough as it needs to be. When I can, I prefer to go lighter on the line to make things more exciting but I like to be practical.

I think we are all trying to sing out of the same song book, just a little different note.

Also, in my opinion, the super lines have changed a lot. I stopped fishing for thirty years and started back not too long ago. Things have changed. You could not put fifty pound test line on a 5000 Series Ambadassor but you could use a sixty five pound leader or most likely a forty pound test leader. Now, with the super braid, you can spool plenty of eighty pound test line on a small reel. The new lines allow us to use line much heaver than an adequate leader. I could not have done what I mentioned above before the super lines with the equipment I have.

All the above is just my opinion.

Have a great week.

Thanks,

Grits

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well since i use spinning equipment currently rig with 17lb and 20lb test main line with a 30lb leader. This is when i target the bigger game. For my channel rod i use 14 test with a 25 lb leader. For my carp rod 14lb test with 20lb floro leader. For the most part i go with the above mentioned but sometimes it depends on what i have available. I tend to use a lighter leader when i am trying to catch Sunnies 10lb test or so.

15. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    you said you have lost fish due to line being scraped against rocks, well that is exactley why you should use a heavier leader than your mainline. who cares about losing a few sinkers when you are taking a chance to possibly lose the fish of a lifetime. i have lost too many fish when i was younger by using inferior leader material. read j.w.'s post about this.

16. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    well said my friend.

17. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    30lb Fireline main line & 80lb mono leader. Works great for me.

18. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use 30# cajun as my main line and a 30# test steel leader. I use a carolina rig and I tie a palomar knot which is a strong knot. I have gotten it hung up and had to break it but the leader broke before the main line or the knot. My 2 cents