Leader Question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Wallbass, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Back when I was a kid ,my dad used steel leaders for bullheads and channels. Now that Im getting back into it I bought some. but what im reading is differant. I started using 40#Braided Nylon as a Leader is this ok or is there something better?......Jeff

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i use mono leaders. they tend to hold better when fishing where nics in the line are possible. mono will handle nics better than braid.

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Mono makes the best leaders to me.:0a22:

4. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree. Mono is a better leader. Try using a lighter test than your main line too. That's so if you get snagged you can snap your leader without doing any real damage to your main line or your rod.

P.S. I read that advise in another thread on here and put it to use. Works out great.:wink:

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i really would not recommend doing this. in fact DO NOT do this, ever. your leader should be stronger than your mainline,not weaker. the reason for this is because during a fight with a big cat, your first couple of feet of line is where alot of the stress is and is most likely to come into contact with stumps, rocks and other things that can damage your line. i actually use twice the test on my leader as i do my main. 40 pound main, 80 pound leader. your mainline being damaged is not that big a deal. just retie. as for damaging your rod, i don't know how having a lighter leader would fix this. to break your line just wrap it around your rod handle( i prefer to wrap it around my reel a couple times) point it straight at the snag and walk straight back.

6. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    oh yeah, mono is the best. never use a braid unless it is dyneema(spectra). and i would still rather have mono. braid does not stretch which is not a good thing when you come into contact with sharp rocks.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Some people use steel leaders but in my opinion unless you are shark fishing it is over kill for catfish. If you are using mono line on the reel the rule of thumb is to use mono leaders in a lb. test equal to or greater than your main line. vary the lengths of your leaders depending on the type fishing you are doing. I've used 30 lb.ande on the reel and 50 lb. ande for leaders for a long time. I've just started using braid and I've went to 65 lb. power pro but I'm still using 50 lb ande for leaders. I can still wrap my line around something and give it a quick jerk and it will either break the stob, straighten the hook or break the leader but something is going to give.

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Stay away from Suffix Titanium Plus. I have lost 5 big fish because it breaks at the knot!!!!

9. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    agreed, thats all i use

10. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jim, I guess that might be why you can't find it anymore. Cabelas was carrying it, but I noticed a few months ago they had it on clearance in their bargain cave. It must be discontinued now or something. I've seen some on ebay a time or two. You must have been one of many to have it fail.