Leader Question

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by VOODOO 1, Mar 22, 2009.

1. VOODOO 1

VOODOO 1 New Member

State:
    PA
    Anybody know if pike or musky can be leader shy or if a leader would mess with the presentation of a live bait rig?

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If in doubt, use a fluorocarbon leader, HTH...Elliot

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I guess thats a good question, when I was young we always used steel leaders with a swivel on one end and snap on the other to keep their teeth from cutting the line. Also when using minnows we had em on a hook with a 4-5 inch steel line with a spinner on it. I don't think it bothers em at all. I may be wrong, but thats just the way I was taught. A year and half ago a guy caught a 17 lber on about 6 lb mono with no leader. He just had a crappie minnow on a hook under the ice and brought it in.

4. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Pike and musky are not leader shy. If you are targeting these fish use a steal leader or you will pay. For pike I usually use a 4-6" 20 pound leader. I don't musky fish but I know you want more horsepower in the leader.

Those nasty teeth can cut most lines so use a leader always.

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great point. Pike and musky's teeth are like razors when it comes to line. When we troll for walleyes we will be going along and wham. Nothing...no bait....no hook....no sinker....its like it was cut with scissors

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    if you are using large lures for them they usually can't get bait down inside mouth so you could use a floro leader or mono leader and not worry to much about the teeth cutting line. for large live bait like suckers i would recommend some kind of wire leader with the exception being if you are using a quick strike rig. usually with that set up if you are watching your stuff and react to the hit quickly the line is usually in no danger of being cut by the teeth. paying attention is the key.

7. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Pike and muskies are not leader shy:big_smile: My wife and I like to troll in the middle of the day when everything else seems to quit for the day and just catch the crap out of muskies trolling crank baits and I use a 3'--20# steel leader--black with a 7'-9" rod with the drag set right and in the middle of the lake NO PROBLEM:wink: