leader material

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 8, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ive always used monofiliament for leader material....usually low vis green....( i fish at nigh )

is there any suggestions as to finding better beader material....

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    that oughta work good. As long as its heavy enough they don't wear thru it

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Regular mono, flourocarbon, polymer I believe are the 3 kinds. If not someone correct me.

4. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    For low visibility and abrasion resistence, then go w/ a flurocarbon leader. I use it for everything except topwater baits. W/ topwater I go w/ a mono. Mono floats where as fluro will sink, and working a TW plug on a sinking line doesn't work very well.

Matt

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    LOVED THE CRAP OUT OF THAT STUFF THEN I USED IT FOR MAINLINE......

I SHOULD OF MENTIONED..... IM FISHING WITH LIVE SHAD AND LAVENT TOUCHED A LURE IN 6 YEARS AND DONT PLAN ON IT....

IM GOING TO USE 50LB SPIDERWIRE BRAID AND 40 LB LEADERS ( WONT LOOSE THE BRAID)

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    leroy, if you're live bait fishing for bass largemouth or stripers i would use flourocarbon. even green mono stands out and if the water you're fishing is gin clear or gets a lot of fishing pressure those fish are going to be line shy sooner or later so why not be ahead of the curve?

7. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I use flouro leader, just cant be beat!!!

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I buy the cheaper,larger diameter,stiffer and harder mono for this as it seems more abrasion resistant and harder to cut.It is a lot harder to tie knots in and I often had to use sleeves instead of knots for bigger stuff when I had a big fish guest along.

The softer and limper premium monos just seem easier to cut or abrade to me.It is a pain to fish with stiff stuff but I use these kinds of lines to fish around shell in saltwater when possible.Not only are they harder to cut,but they are far cheaper to lose when they are cut.

Now there were certain situations where I wanted my leader to be the weak link to keep from losing large amounts of line,such as where large sharks were going to take your catch at times.This not only saves your line but your gear as well from destruction.I did the same thing when cat fishing if big Cats,Carp or Bull Sharks in Tidewater were expected.I only fish for frying pan size Cats as that is what I eat.Big fish are a nuisance to me when fishing for little fish with little fish gear.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

OH NO.... THE LOWER COLORADO RIVER IS NOT GIN CLEAR:crazy::crazy::crazy:

I KNOW IM THROWING OUT QUESTIONS BUT WHAT ABOUT BERKLEY BIG GAME 40 lb CLEAR BLUE OR CAJUN ADVANTAGE

THOSE ARE THE 2 NAMES THAT I KNOW ARE TOUGH AS HECK:wink:

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

IVE USED THAT STUFF WHEN I FIRST STARTED FISHING " HATED IT " .... UNTIL I REALIZED LINE STRETCHED....AND THEN LOVED IT CAUSE I HAD A 3FT STIFF ( KEPT A GOOD STRAIGHT LINE) LEADER:wink::smile2::crazy::big_smile:

11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    big game and cajun are both good lines i used big game for years until i discovered flourocarbon. now you like to use light tackle so imagine you're using 10lb test line well a 40lb leader could be considered overkill and even better picture 15lb floureocarbon being just as abrasion resistant as 40lb big game. now you have a smaller diameter leader thats practically invisible underwater and has great abrasion resistance. whatdaya think?

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    these arent light

i have 2 poles that are going to have 50 lb braid line on both of them... with a 40 lb mono leader

i got my light rigs down to the T... use the same things for several seasons now and never failed me....