Leader material

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by toddrod, Jan 23, 2007.

1. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    What is the difference in leader material and regular monofilament line of the same # rating. Considering the cost difference there must be something different. Please explain this to me.

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    leader material is thicker and stiffer than the same pound test monofilament. its only good for snelling hooks or tying topshots. do not use as fishing line as stated its far too stiff.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you are talking flourocarbon, it is supposed to disappear under water or be less visible too. I just use 50 pound Ande monofilament for leaders. The cost difference is significant. I change out my leaders often to make sure there are no frays.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Just copy what WylieCat said here. I do the same.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Unless i was fishing for something with some major teeth I wouldnt worry about it. I just use what i have leftover from spooling up.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use 40# Cajun Red for leaders, it is suppose to be invisible in the water too. But fishing in the Mississippi, I doubt if the invisible part matters.

7. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    I have used all kinds of leaders from mono,braided and,steel.I use 80 lbs. Andie mono.It is tough and cheap compared to leader material.I have caught many monster cats with this as a leader and it has not let me down yet(knock on wood).It works for me.Try them all until you find what works for you.

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just use what is left over on a spool also, right now it's 30 # cajun red because I bought it the last time cause I wanted to try it out. So far so good but for the last few years I been using big game in the 30 to 50 # range, also very good.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use 20 lb mono leaders, I might go up to 25 or 30 lb hook leaders.

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use 20-30lb main line(depends on which rod) and 17lb cajun leader. I snell all my hooks with this and an sure to have plenty of leaders tied to swivles before any trip. Because that red line is impossible to see in low light conditions.