Leader Material?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by BIG GEORGE, Jul 28, 2006.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What makes a 50 yard spool of 50# test leader material any better than a 350 yard spool of a good 50# test mono? Other than the price. I'm wonderin if others like myself have fallen into the trap of usein leader material instead of a good mono line. What makes that leader material any tougher. Just curious what everyones thoughts are on this. Thanx for your input.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm trying to figure out the same as you George, I been using 50lb Wal-Mart mono with good results for years.

3. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The leader materials usually have properties that make them a little stronger and more abrasion resistant than standard mono. Usually they are a larger diameter. Therefore they are great for leader usage but they usually have strong memory and poor casting performance. Thus they don't work very well as a main casting line. However, I use 30lb. Stren Dura-tuf for leaders. After a comparison of every type of leader material and heavy mono that Gander Mountain had in stock it became quite clear that the 30lb. duratuf was the strongest material they had on the shelf. My buddy recently straightened a 6/0 Mustad Big Gun hook out on a snag. We're talking an extremely heavy hook and it straightened without the leader breaking. I can't even imagine how many pounds of force it would take to straighten one of those hooks out.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good point John. However,think about it. Your main line with stood the strain also.

5. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes, but the main line was 80lb. Power Pro.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    From what I understand,most leader lines are made of fluorocarbon. Mono absorbs water, and can lose as much as 15 percent of its rated breaking strength when saturated. Fluorocarbon contains more material than mono. Its a solid material that's denser than water. It sinks and doesn't absorb water, the latter quality enabling it to maintain its rated breaking strength whether wet or dry.

What does this mean?

Absolutely nothing because the mono line is more likely to break before the leader line does resulting in losing everything. lol

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO

LMAO Wolf, thanks for the info. Guess it just does not matter.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I just use Berkley 50# mono / 350 yard spool for like 6 bucks, never had a problem. I do use flourocarbon for other types of fish, but I don't think cats get line shy.

9. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I use 80lb. power pro for my main line and 80lb. suffix for my leader. The reason I use pp is, it is the same dia. as 18lb. mono and so I have 80lbs. of pulling power without the bulk. The mono is more abrasion resistance than the pp.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Picked up a 300yd spool of Silver Thread co-polymer line, 30 lb test at Gander for $3, couldn't pass up the deal. Used it yesterday and it did well. The stuff was smaller diameter than the other 30lb I've used and knots up well. Would have gotten a 50lb spool, but the 30 was the largest and its fine for channels.

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Personaly I use trotline as my leader, puts up with abrasion great which is what I need , the mainline is 50lb spiderline.

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use 65lb power pro for both my main line and leader.

13. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I always use the exact same material for my leader and main line. I used to go lighter on my leaders to allow breakoffs at the hook, rather than lose everything as Tea suggested. Since last year, I use the same material for both, but use an Improved Clinch knot to tie my hook to the leader and Palomers for everything else. Although plenty strong enough, the Improved Clinch Knot only retains 85% of the line strength compared to the 95% of the Palomer. I would say that in 95% of my breakoffs, I only lose the hook. I know some of you are afraid of losing fish on the hook knot if not double tied and super-glued, but I have not lost one yet due to a knot breakage. I always set my drag at about 1/3 of the line breaking strength and wear the monsters down.

Hint: If using braided line, use Trilene knots but leave one of the loops out on your hook. Plenty of strength, but when you wrap your line around a stick to break it off...you will break at the hook most of the time.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've never used the leader material but have used 40 lb. and now 50 lb. ande and have never had any reason to try anything else.

15. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I have 30lb Power Pro and am looking for a decent leader material... using the PowerPro seems like an expensive solution. If anyone uses this lb line, what leader are you using since it has an 8lb diameter.

thanks

16. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I had 80lb berkley vanish high dollar junk leader line to break yesterday on a monster cat. I am now looking for a better abrasion resistant line. Wheres the best place to buy the sufix leader line or is there any better leader line available.

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Fins Deep Drop, 200lb. A 500yd spool from Cabelas will set you back $100, but it's tougher than anything out there, and it has good knot characteristics.

18. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm going to stick the the mono I've always used for leaders. I've never had any problem with it before. If it's not broke I i'm not going to fix it.