Leader Material...type and strength

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Jan 24, 2010.

What type and strength are your leaders?

1. Mono

2. Flourocarbon

3. Braid

4. Steel

5. Other

6. Under 40lb test

7. 50lb test

8. 60lb test

9. 80lb test

10. 100lb test or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    What's everyone using for leader material? Mono? Flourocarbon? Braid? Steel?

What strength are your leaders?

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    100 pound braid=80 pound flourocarbon, 65 pound braid=50 pound flourocarbon I have'nt broken a fish off yet.....

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I use mono 10 to 30lb. depending on my setup, for channels or the big cats.

4. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I started to use 50# big game this year so I could snell my hooks. I was useing 50# braid and didn't have any problems with it but I wanted to snell my hooks and fish more structure for flatheads.

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I use mono..But where it say under 40.I voted that becasue i use 40..

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Complicated answer....

Anchor fishing - 200lb Abbrasion resistant saltwater braid (FINS Deep Drop)
    Anchor fishing fairly clear water - 40lb mono or fluorocarbon
    Drifting - 30lb or 40lb mono or fluorocarbon

When drifting, I like to use a lighter leader that I can snap off without too much trauma, so much of the time I'll use 30lb. If cost weren't an issue, I'd use fluorocarbon in place of mono all of the time. That 200lb FINS Deep Drop is awesome stuff if you can find it. Nothing, and I mean nothing is going to break that stuff, and it is great for tying knots.

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Yeah, flourocarbon is awesome leader material, but LORDY, is that stuff expensive. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it's worth the cost when you can buy a bulk spool of quality abrasion resistant mono for the cost of 50 or 100 yds of of flouro. I know that flouro is tough, but I'm not one to keep using the same leader day after day. At the end of the day, minimum, I cut off my terminal tackle and re-rig for the next day. I check and re-tie during the trip as I feel is needed.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i like to use 50 lb mono for my leader, but it also depends on the time of year. when they hit the spawn and post spawn i like to goto a braided leader until there mouths have a chance to heel up. i feel that the softer leader allows them to hold onto the bait longer allowing me to put a real sore spot in there jaws. however i also change size depending on where i am fishing, and alway use a leader about 10 lbs or more less than my main line. that way when i break off i dont risk breaking my main line. for example if i am fishing 65# braid i use 50# leader, fishing 50# mono i use a 40# leader. JMO.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    #65 Power Pro main line with #40 Cajun Red mono for the leader.

10. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I use leftover mono for my leaders. I voted for two strengths because I use different leaders depending on my main line strength and the type of fishing I'm doing. I've had good luck using some Cajun Red for leaders.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I use mono, sometimes its 40 lb cajun red, someties something else.

Salt water I use flouro carbon

When fishing northern or barracuda I use steel leaders

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I purchased a few spools of Cajun Red when it was all Hype. Never liked the coil/memory, so I have been using it for leader and is working well.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use#60 leader with #80 braid and #80 leader with #100 braid.I,ve bought the fluro a couple times when I had a few extra bucks.I usually just go with one of the better saltwater mono leaders though.Most of them are pretty tough too,hate spending more than I have to.I got a few spots where it,s all jagged steel I,m fishing around,I,ll make me up some 100-150lb steel leaders for those spots.Suprisingly,the big flatties don,t seem to have no aversion to the heavy steel leaders.I,ve had them cut off on the steel too,but they,ll buy ya a few extra seconds when you need it.

14. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I voted steel, reason being My local baitshop owner/freind makes them to my likeing... They are 100lb leaders that are kind of like the firm titanium leaders just with a little more give. Another reason I like them is because alot of my fishing applications revolve around heavy cover and very close to it, the steel leaders I use keep my live bait swimming in a circular motion and if it gets to wrapping itself up around some cover "WOOD" the leader is firm enough to make the baitfish reverse back around and free himself without tying me up on the cover.

Another reason is for the fast hook changes it allows me to do incase I need to upsize, dowsize, or just plain change the hook due to the situation....

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Ya gotta try making some of your own Steve.Some wire,appropiate size sleeves and a decent pair of crimpers.It,s dirt cheap,really easy and you can get really creative with the rigs you make up.

16. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Im lazy Pat and would rather blame someone else for faulty equipment LOL!....NA this guy has been in the catfishing industry for 50+ years and will experiment with anything I ask... He is pretty much my hero and I trust him with with anything he says or recommends. It's great having a mentor that is 50 yrs your elder and knows catfishing to a tee like this man does.....however I can't get all the secrets out of the stubborn SOB!!! LOL!!! I guess he has earned his right to take some personal experience and knowledge to the grave with him..... I have watched him make and remember what he uses for my leaders, so when he passes on I can do it myself.... As for the time being I know he enjoys doing this and I enjoy helping out a local catman/hero keeping his baitshops lights on. I someday will ask if he would let me take over when he is too old to walk creeks getting bait and dealing with bass fisherman LOL!!

I think it made his dreams come true when the IN-FISHERMAN boys interveiwed him for a artical in the CATFISH INSIDER about how to catch big cats whithin the city limits of DES MOINES, IOWA.......Even then the stubborn old bastard wouldn't come off his secret spots and he hasn't fished in 20 yrs!!! LMAO!

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Them old timers can be a bit eccentric,but their knowledge is priceless!

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use about 4' of 40# berkley big cat mono, my main line is 80# powerpro braid

19. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    100# braid with 80# mono leaders / 65# braid with 40# mono leaders

20. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    100 lb PP with60 to 70 lb flouro,or 50lb Cajun Red Lightnin when I dont have flouro.That Cajun is awesome for leaders.

Or 65lb PP with 50 Cajun leader,around 18 inches long.