Leader Line

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by raybait1, Oct 2, 2008.

1. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Just wondering what test and brand of line you guys use for leaders. A guy gave me a spool of Cajun Red 20# so I thought id use it for leaders. WRONG! I lost my first hook on about a 10# blue. Second one was around 8#. The line broke just above the hook both times. I finally ended up catching a 5#er. I got to looking at the line after the 5 it was frayed something awful. Those tiny little needle teeth can sure make a mess of the Cajun Red. Dont know if you can tell from the pic or not. Anyway I went back to my BBG in 30#.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/raybait1/DSC00104.jpg

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i use 40lb leaders

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use Cajun Red lightning in 20 lb mono main line and for the leaders. I also use some big game green in 30 lb main line and leaders. The cajun red seems to be some really tuff line, I haven't broke it yet and landed some big Flatheads up to 67 lbs on it. I was snagged up one day and was pulling on the rod to try and break the line and instead of the line breaking....my rod snapped into 2 pieces and busted me up side the head. Yeah...this is some tough stuff ...usually!:big_smile:

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    There are 4 types of Cajun Red mono. I use The original Cajun Red Lightnin in 20lb test. Ive had fish over 50lbs drag it all over riprap rock and cement and have never had it break. The Red Lightnin is still made in the U.S.A. the other 3 types are made in China, I've never used them.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Is it possible he gave you some line because it was old and sitting around? Give it a good pull with some plyers It may be weathered. As for the question I usually make my leaders out of whatever I have on my pole. I have 80 lb braid on one and 60 pd mono on the other.

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    RAY i have ben trying it out all sumer and love it its very abrashion resistant if i was a betting man i would bet that roll that was gave to you was left out in the sun or subjected to some cemicals its deff not cajuns falt in thear defins thear line has to much memmory but it is some tuffffff stuffffffff

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I use 100 lb./20 diameter Power Pro Braid on my hook leaders and mainline. I've straightened big hooks before it breaks. A Warning though you will need a tough work glove to hold it with when you get snagged and need to break the line.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use stren high impact 30#

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 80# 7 strand wire leaders connected with salt water crimps. Dang near bullet proof.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 power pro with #40 cajun red for leaders. I only bank fish the river and always in current and plenty of rocks and debris. I have caught blues up to #48 and the line has been great so far. Good luck.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    On my bait casters.......

I use to use Big Game until about a year ago I now use #30 Cajun main line with #40 or #50 Cajun leaders .

I don't care for the #20 test either but the #30 and over I love . It really is tough stuff and it has unbelievable stretch....hard to break. I would say its worth trying another #20 spool or the #30...great stuff.

It will hold some memory but most of us use 1.5oz weights or bigger so your line tends to stay tight and memory doesn't affect you like lighter weights would .