Leader Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by strictly catfish, Feb 22, 2008.

1. I was hoping someone from the Brotherhood could explain to me why it is that fisherman use a different leader line even though it is the same test per #[pound} as the main line. Also please explain why some fisherman use a different color leader line than the main line even though it is the same pound test?
    Please forgive my arrogance, and thank you for your instruction.

Thank you,
    Strictly Catfish.

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 100# power pro braid because its small diamiter and tuff as H#!! i USE 80# Cajun red line for leaders because it will streach some where as the braid wont ,good hook set As for as color I tried all kinds,cant reall say Theres any difference! Well thats my reason and it works for me !:0a26:

3. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    welcome aboard kevin
    i'll try to answer your question. i'm assuming you're asking about the hook leader so heres my take. i use a different color leader because my main line is hi vis and i prefer to have a clear leader so i don't spook any line shy fish and even though most people say catfish aren't line shy i think if they're in an area with a lot of fishing pressure they will become line shy so that explains the color. also i use leader material instead of regular fishing line to tie my hooks leader material is different than line in that its thicker and stiffer than the same pound test mono so it doesn't tangle as easily as softer mono. thats why i do it.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Forgot to welcome you to the BOC, welcome Kevin :wink:

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C. from Alton, IL.
    I use 65lb Power Pro and 40lb Cajun Red mono for leader material. My reason for the mono leader is because I always fish river with plenty rocks and debris and I feel the mono can take the abraision better than the braid. I could be wrong. Good luck.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont, I use the same leader line as I do my main line.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a heavier leader line than my main line. If i'm fishing with 30# line on my reel...I will use a 40# leader. I think that the leader is gonna get more abuse. I guess its just a matter of preference.:big_smile:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Because it's the only away to put a swivel in the line. That swivel will help with some line twist. I go bigger line for the leader. That leader is going to take way more abuse being it's going to rub on the fins and the catfishes sandpaper teeth. When using mono line it's 40 pound main line and 80 pound leader. When using braid it's 65 pound leader and 80 pound braid.

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Kevin,
    Welcome to the BOC. As far as your other questions, I believe the other guys here pretty much covered the topic.

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc strictly the best:wink:

11. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish:cool2:

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Kevin, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lotof good info in there.

When you are using mono for your main line the rule of thumb is to use equal or greater lb. test for hook leaders. Some of my reels I use 30 lb. line on the reel and 50 lb. for leaders.

My tournament rods I run 65 lb. power pro on the reel and still use 50 lb. clear premium salt water ande for leaders. I also believe that cats are neither line or hook shy but using the clear for leaders is just a mind thing:smile2:. Braided line is very strong but it is not abrasion resistant and cuts real easy. I think it would be a big mistake to use it for leaders.

The reasons for me for even using leaders is to 1. be able to use a swivel to help prevent line twist when you get ahold of a good size cat. 2. for abrasion resistance when fishing rocks timber etc... 3. I run peg corks a lot and this allows me to float the bait. 4. This will allow the bait to have movement with the wave action instead of being pinned to the bottom of the lake by your sinker.

13. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Kevin, welcome to the BOC! The main reason I use the mono leaders is because, on my cat rigs I fish braid and, they dont have any stretch (shock leader). I also know for a fact that braid isnt very abrasion resistant also!!!! I have been snagged in rip-rap or revetment material on the river and you can actually pull on the braid and feel the rocks cut it! (80# test Power-pro). I use different length mono leaders for different current and bait situations (100#test). Also the 100# mono leaders will break in a straight line pull, before the 80# Power-Pro. If you can keep your boat from pulling towards your snag!:crazy: