Leader line?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by bootshowl, May 29, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Was wondering what the advantage is. Normal for me to use the same line I'm spooled with, or use a higher lb. line for leader. When I think leader, I'm thinking of the business end from the barrel swivel to the hook. But noticed in the catalogs they sell leader line. ? Still learning.
    :smile2:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I use a heavier leader for a couple of reasons.

The main reason is that it will usually take most of the damage when fighting the fish. If they are down trying to rub on rocks and such then you need a thicker line that can take some abuse.

Hope this helps.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use some of the main line for leader.I think most brake offs are bad knots rather than the fish rubbing on rocks.

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    For my leader I usally like to use a little smaller than my main line if i get a snag I dont lose my whole rig.

5. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Same here. I like using a heavy braid and then weaker leader material.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I assume by "leader line", you mean fluorocarbon...it's virtually invisible under water, and is used for leader shy fish in clear water. If anyone uses it for cats, I'm unaware of it.

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use mono and flourcarbon for leaders. Most of the time a lighter lb test than main line so I don't lose the whole rig. Most of my reels are spooled with 50 lb power pro, and leaders from 12 lb to 40 lb. Drag is set for strength of leader.