The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switched to braid from mono so I got a few spools of big game mono in solar green not doing anything. Can I use it for leader line? From what I’ve searched on here catfish are not line shy but people are talking about their main line mostly. Will they shy away from colored leader line? I fish the Mississippi and the murky Wisconsin river.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Switched to braid from mono so I got a few spools of big game mono in solar green not doing anything. Can I use it for leader line? From what I’ve searched on here catfish are not line shy but people are talking about their main line mostly. Will they shy away from colored leader line? I fish the Mississippi and the murky Wisconsin river.
I don't think it is a big deal. I have used that same color of big game with no issues. I even have some Santee rigs I tied with moss colored braid and they catch fish too.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
I agree that it PROBABLY will not make a difference. Now does that mean that all the fish that would bite when using a clear leader would still hit a line made to be visible,,,,, I don't know. And because of the relatively low cost of mono line is it worth taking the chance. I Ould be afraid that the one fish that was finicky would have been my PB.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Use it on the lower Ohio, of course there is no way of knowing if I would have caught more or bigger fish on a given day had I been using clear but we catch fish. Don't know it for a fact but I doubt a fish can tell the difference at 10ft. in the water I fish .

·
Registered
KY, USA
146 Posts
I use 20 lbs green solar collector in my 9ft rods, and in the shorter rods I have 12 lbs clear mono. I do not see a difference in catch rate for catfish. I am pretty sure actually that the 9ft rods catches more fish overall just because it can reach this deep hole further away.

From everything that I have read, catfish is not line shy. And the lake that we fish is always pretty muddy so not sure how much that a catfish can see.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I use Cajun red a lot. Kinda disappears in the water. I don’t think it matters if there hungry they eat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts