Leader life span

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Zing, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have had my leader break on fish lately, I would love to think it is the monsters I'm fishing for but I'm not sure that is the case. How often should I change my leader out. Is there a time that it should be done. I am not changing after catching fish on it. I'm using Yo Zuri 30# line as a leader. I do check it for wear and tear. can any one help me on this issue.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have a few questions that might clarify a few things.

What size is you main line?
    What kind of knot are you using?

3. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am using 30# test as main line and using a fishermens knots or berkley knot. I'm not having trouble with the knot, about half way or less up from the hook is were it is breaking. I have had problems with the knot in the past but believe I have solved that problem, but any help to include the knot would help.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would recommend going to a heavier test leader line (50 to 80lb Test). Using a heavier leader will improve durability and abrasion resistance. I always go at least 10lbs heavier than my main line because, a short section of mono will break before a long section will (leader being the short section). This is what works for me and many others.

5. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info. If you have any suggestions on knots I would love to hear them. Always looking for any thing to help. I have lost some big fish hear recently and do not wont to go to braid. I usally anchor and fish off boats rod holders just off bottom. I'm not to worried about hanging up on bottom.

6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Palomar knot is the best knot for tying line to terminal tackle.
    Jake

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I use 50 ande for leader and all Palomar knots.
    After each fish or breaking free from a snag I run the leader through my fingers.
    Just the slightest nick and I tie a new one.
    To speed the process pretie leaders. At various outdoor places like Dicks or Gander Mountain you can get leader rolls. They are around the size of a toilet paper roll. You can wrap the pretied leaders around them and they'll be ready to rock.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I change them each time I go out. Why take a chance? You have no clue what that leader is rubbing against or what is chewing on it!!! I have switched to heavy duty steel leaders but still change them each outing!!:smile2:

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have been using steal leaders myself and thinking of switching to mono. These things get pricey after several hang ups.:eek:oooh:

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I fished with steel leaders for many years and have never regreted switching to mono. Not enough flexability to them.

11. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Do you have zebra mussels in your waters. One of the lakes I fish has them and they will tear up your leaders. When you reel in if you run your leader through your fingers and feel a bunch of nicks you can about bet they've been at it. I try to always use one of the super braids for leaders. Seems like they can't chew that stuff.

12. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks everyone for there reply, I think I'll give the palomar knot a try. I'll need to try and find a heavier line some where are local walmart does not carry anything over 20# test line. Maybe I can find some at the tackle dealers in area. I want to stick with mono. Even though the Yo Zuri is a hybrid line. Thanks again and have fun and be safe

13. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I usually check the leader end or cut off at least two feet at the end. Most times I use from 40# to 80# mono leader. I also routinely redo the mainline to leader knot with an albright knot or alberto knot after heavy surf fishing.

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I expect my leaders to get twice as much abuse as my mainline. Accordingly, my leaders are always at least 2X as strong as my mainline.

I have gone so far as making leaders out of 0.080 string trimmer twine. They cannot be tied with a conventional knot, so I crimp them with a crimp sleeve.

The blues can tie that stuff up around a tree trunk and I still can get the fish!

I consider myself a sportsman. I like to catch big catfish, then turn them loose and fish for them again. That means the fish must be released healthy. A fish that is fought hard and long builds up lactic acid in his system... if it gets high enough, the fish dies.

I use strong tackle, up to the challenge of catching and boating these large fish so they may be released in good condition and survive to fight another day. A fish hooked deeply will die over 70% of the time. I use circle hooks in order to keep the hook in the lip. Survival rate for a well handled lip hooked fish is over 90%.

These big fish and their progeny belong to our grandchildren and their children. They are our protectorate... don't let them down.

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Im currently in the experimental stage sorta of speak with this. Just like the convenience of not having to tie any leaders and been able to switch hooks quicker.:big_smile:

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont even use steel leaders fishing for saltwater blues and they aint nothing but teeth that just happen to know how to swim.

Try the Palomar knot. Its an easy knot to tie and a strong knot.
    Its easy enough to tie you'll soon be able to tie it by feel.
    Starting from scratch I can have a leader tied up and bait on the hook in 3 minutes or so.
    Pretying leaders is the way to go though. Just one knot to the mainline and you are back fishing.
    You'll get more action out of your live bait if you ditch the steel.

17. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mark you said you use Ande 50# as a leader are you using the Fluorocarbon leader line or just regular line for the leader . I was looking at defferant lines and it seems they advertise fluorcarbon leader material, along with there lines. Is it worth the price for the leader material?

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I'll give another vote for the palomar knot. I used the improved cinch knot for years but switched to the palomar and have not regreted it. It's simple but it's a strong knot. I also use 50 lb. ande for my leaders. Until recently I used 30 lb. ande on the main line but switched to 65 lb. power pro on my tournament rods and still use 50 lb. ande for the leaders. I just use the premium salt water ande, some people like the leader material but IMHO it's a waste of money. As far as when to change it. I will always start out with all new leaders and check them every time I reel in. If I notice any kind of nick then it is replaced.:0a26:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I use Ande tournament grade mono.
    I wouldnt spring for flourocarbon unless I was fishing for fish that sight fed and or spooked easily because of clear water.
    Sometimes I use Ande as a mainline if I am saltwater fishing and then I only use the light weight lines.
    Ande is a strong abrasion resistant line but lacks the suppleness of other monos. Its memory is one of the worst I've seen on smaller reels commonly used for catfishing.
    Its also an inexpensive line.
    I wont catfish without it.