Leader lengths

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ice-Berg, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci
    If your using the carolina rig, about how long should the leaders be for cats. Does it differ from live to prepared bait?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nathan, welcome to the BOC.
    There's no set length for a leader, but probably 12-18" is most commonly used. Mine vary depending on fishing conditions such as current (may call for a short 12" or less, even no leader when in heavy cover), type of bait (again, with live bait I usually use 12-24"), or if I'm drift fishing on the Santee Cooper lakes I may use a leader of ~36" with a float 6-8" ahead of the bait to keep the bait off bottom a foot or so.
    Hope this helps without confusing you. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Someone will be around to help. :smile2:

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Like Tommy said, this tends to vary depending on the water you are fishing. I almost solely use live/fresh bait. On average, 18 - 30 inches covers most fishing conditions. First thing I look at is cover and current; the more cover and current, the shorter the leader (regardless of the bait). Since I normally fish lakes (little to no current), but do fish moderate structure (standing timber, stumps), a leader of 18 - 24 inches covers about 90% of my fishing. Good luck

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    This may sound crazy to a lot of people, but I don't use leaders at all. I usually fish in heavy cover and the leaders are just more tackle to lose.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    While I don't disagree that a leader is more terminal to loose, I find them useful with channel cats because of the way they twist and turn. A good swivel seems to help with line twist in the main line.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a three way swivel, I use 12 ro 18 inch hook leaders and about a 12 inch break off leader.

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I use around 18inches of leader when using carolina style rigs. It all depends on cover, hook, weight, and type of bait used.

Wheelmobile07

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I use leaders from 12" up to 48" if i'm fishing in the summer and fall we have alot of grass on the bottoms at times. A 48" leader will help keep that bait above the grass lines. I hand tie all my leader out of #80 mono

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i've used leaders from 10" to 6ft depends on conditions and structure

10. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    With me it all depend's on the water:If the water is moving fast than I use a short leader about 6-12 inches I don't like for my bait to flop all over the place in fast water//If the water is not moving or in a lake I use a leader around 24 inches.All lender showed me this about 15 years ago and it has allways worked for me.I hope this help's ya out Bro.........

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    12"-18"...:smile2:

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i drift about 90% of the time mostly lakes moist of the time about 3ft if the fish are tight to bottom sometimes up to 6ft look at sonar but dont be locked in to just one lenth try 6in up then add on till you find right lenth becouse it dose matter a lot the next best thing is speed this time of yr they like it slow hope this helps.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Ron...love your movies man! LOL!! I use a leader anywhere fron 12-24" like most everyone else.

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I go with about 10 to 12 inches the more I have for a leader the more it twist and rolls in the current.