Leader length ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyron4, Feb 27, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For years I've used a 18"-24" leader length, but get snagged more than I'd like. Would going to a short leader length , say 10"- 12" help out or hurt ? Also I use 20# Big game line and use it for leader line, what's some other options for leader line ? What about 25-30# Flourocarbon line ? -Thanks

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Fluorocarbon is expensive and not needed. I use at least 30 lb test, right now, its what's left from a 30 lb spool of big game after loading a reel with 3/4 of it. 20 lb seems a bit light to me, I had more break offs when I used 20 lb. I've also got 40 lb Cajun Red leader material, I like it, stiff and abrasion resistant. Also got it for $.88, wish I'd gotten several more rolls.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Remember Mike that Regular line, no matter what the test strength is not leader line.

Leader line is made of different materials to create a much higher abrasion resistane than that of the regular line. And as mentioned before, Flourocarbon is a waste of $$$ on Catfish, their sight isn't good enough IMHO, to detour them from biting.

There are many different brands available, most of which you won't have any problems with. I prefer the 30 & 50 lb material. It's a little easier to tie knots with the 30 rather than the 50 Lb. JMO.

Since I'm around the saltwater enviroment, the most popular line around here is ANDE. Their warehouse is a few blocks from my shop. Even the Wal-Marts around here carry it.

4. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I usually like using about a 10-20 inch leader when I am fishing slower current water so that my bait can realy move around the sinker.
    In situations where I am fishing A dam where the water is more fast flowing I will cut the length sometimes all the way down to 5-10 inches so that I can feel the bait alot better and pull it away from known brush piles during high water.
    Something else I would recomend is using flat weights. during high water It seems to me like I do not get those hung up as easy and they are alot easier to pull out of snags.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use 5 to 12inch leader, I don't have any problem with that. It's still working for catfish.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i've been having better luck lately going with lighter and longer leaders. I was using 30lb cajun leaders about 12" but now i am using 14lb trilene leaders about 18-24". I have broken a few fish off with the lighter leaders but by replacing them everytime i bring a fish in it has cut that to almost 0% break off. Just remember to adjust ur drag to the lightest part of ur rigging.

7. Big Cat Dad

Big Cat Dad New Member

State:
    Montana
    I use around a 6"-12" leader most of the time. I even run the sinker down to the hook in really high current situations and it doesn't seem to matter. I think leader length is extremely overated.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If catfish didn't twist and turn so much, I might not use a leader. Frankly, that swivel just adds too more knots to the place where line is most likely to break.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I quit using a leader and a swivel, Now I am tieing a drop rig without a leader or swivel. If u wont more ifo contact me.

10. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    IMO, The length of your leader should be adapted to your water current. When fishing in a stronger current I will use any where from 6in to no leader at all, because it keeps your bait from flying around like a pissed off house cat and will be easier for the catfish to eat it. When fishing in a slower current I have used any were from 6in to a 30in leader so that what little current there is will make my bait move around a little rather than just sit on the bottom. Like I said before, it really depends on the water current and this is just IMO. Hope It Helps.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    when lake fishing i use a small devise that i used alot during salmon fishing, they are called corkies. they will float off the bottom but do not have alot of boyancy (spelling)
    i have some left that are white and some that are light green, these are the closest colors to my cut bait that i could find.
    with 24" leader the bait stays about 15-20" off the bottom

12. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I usually use a shock leader and the most an 18" wire or fluro leader.