Leader Length?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Dr. Flathead, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Dr. Flathead

Dr. Flathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey quick question for all you flathead fanatics. I am new to this very addictive sport of hunting and catching flatheads and have a question about leader length. My rigs are usually equipped with a 3oz no-roll sinker with my bead under that to protect my mainline knot which is tied to a nice sized barrel swivel. From there comes my leader line which is never the same length due to me being new to this and trying different lengths to see which works best. I like to use bluegill 6 to 9 inches long and am wondering how much line I need to let them work with. Any info will help. THANKS!

2. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I prefer a leader right around 12 inches but generally anywhere 8" & 18" for the leader length. You want the Baitfish to be able to swim naturally but not to swim too far as they can get snagged up on branches or rocks if you give 'em too much line to run free on. Also....try to match the leader & hook to your baits as much as possible. If i'm using larger bait i tend to use a large hook (9/0 or 10/0 typically) and a shorter leader (8" or so). The larger bait will struggle on the shorter leash a little and generally make more commotion/vibration that is more likely to attract attention. The smaller baits have a hard time swimming naturally on a huge hook and often won't move much as a result.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    My personal experience is 12 to 18 inches long. That has always seemed to be plenty of room for live bait to swim.

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Agreed. I also will cut a small bit off of their tail to keep them from just sitting there.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont measure my leaders, just cut a piece off, sometimes short as 8 inches, sometimes a foot...I also dont use a bead between my sinker and swivle...The sinker wont hurt your knot..At least I have never had a problem not using a bead.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Glenn on this one. I pre tie my leaders and snell my hooks in advance and can adjust the leader at the time I tie it on. 12-18".

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Works for me too, just experiment until you find a length that you're comfortable with. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i like my leaders about 12 to 18 inches also.

9. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    blues and channels, i give em 8-12 inches and i always give the flats a little more running room, 18-21

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    About an 18 inch leader, a 3 way rig with a sacrificial sinker drop of lighter test mono. I'd lose the no-rolls and use the sinker drop, you get snagged, or most importantly the fish gets you snagged, and the sinker will break off and you'll get your fish. Or if no fish and a snag, 90% of the time it's your sinker that snags and you'll get most of your tackle back.