Leader Length - How long should they be?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Addicted2Cats, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    I'm going to pre-tie some leaders tonight for later this week, but I'm not sure on how long I should make my leader. I'll be using a standered slip rig and a slip float rig. How long should I tie my leaders, and should I vary the length for live/cut bait?

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    18 to 24" for slip slip weight leader

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    It's mainly personal preference as to your leader length, with high current situations I like to use a short length 6 to 8 inches helps me to maintain bottom contact with the weight and bait, normal situations I prefer an 18 inch leader, no current situations I have used up to a three foot leader using live bait, fishing the Ohio river we have to adjust to each and every situation.........Doc

4. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I was wonder how long you would put a leader on a carolina rig for bait thanks:p :rolleyes: :cool:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As a rule of thumb, the faster the water, the shorter the leader. At tailraces of dams, the thought is it is best to not even use a leader. It seems that the water whipping the bait around makes it hard for the catfish to grab the bait. I don't know... I'm not a catfish, but it makes sense. Then as you get away from the dam, you start using a leader so the bait will swish around and release more scent.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    All my leaders are 20" or shorter, I have found that the longer the leader the slip sinker rides farther up the line when casting and shortens the casting distance.

7. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    Hey guys, thanks for the knowledge! I just got done tying 6 leaders. 3 with polymar knots and 3 with snells. Boy do my fingers hurt!;)

8. bmullikin32

bmullikin32 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 12 to 14 inch leaders, works well for me