Leader length for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by GETHOOKED, May 15, 2007.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I have been experimenting with leader length, and was wondering what was the most common, or most productive length. I am fishing a river section that seems to have a lot of moss, algea growth a foot or so up from the bottom. My weight and usually my bait gets caught up in this mess, and decreases my chances for bites. I usually get bit when I change baits, in the first minute or so, after that NADA. SO what is everyone's favorite leader length---and why??????:0a23:

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    18"

Why? Who knows. I really have no good reason. Just seems like a decent compromise. I want the bait to have a bit of room to swim, but no too much.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    just figure the avrage depth and add a cat bobber to suspend your bait about 12 to 18 inches above the weeds they will find it.

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    hey guys, what pound test leader do use?

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I make my leader length acording to the current. If i am fishin in slower current i will use a longer leader such as 18 in or so. If the current is fast i will shorten it up to around 6 or 8 in. . Reason being is if your leader is to long in the fast current it will be harder for the catfish to bite it because it is moving around to much. I usualy use a 30 or 40 lb leader when im river fishing.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I run a 24" leader when I have the moss conditions. I also add a small crappie float a few inches above my bait/hook. This will cause the bait to stay above the moss. The float is 2.5 inch in line type with pegs.:lol: :big_smile:

7. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I ditto kickin wing. Sometimes I go shorter than 6 inches. Mostly use same test as main line 30lb to 20 lb line.

8. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Depends on water conditions and structure that I am fishing 6 " to 24 " on the average though Id say 16"

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 30" leaders fishing vertically, 10" leaders in snags. want the bait to have some room to struggle and get the message out. i use 45 pound big game, hasn't let me down yet. main line is 50 and 60 pound power pro, also faithful!

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Leaders depend on how high u wont ur bait off the bottom.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    lately ive been using the steel leaders with 2 oz of lead on bottom and my bait 10" and 20" from bottom

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    leaders i use are 6-8inches, same line as the main line. short leader to keep the bait from tangleing me up.

13. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with Kicknwing and Skipper I adjust my leaders according to the speed of the current I'm fishing. I also agree with poisonpits if its weeds or really soft bottom you should probably add a float. You can use a traditional float approach like line, float, split shots, bait or use a slip sinker rig and put the float on your leader half way between swivel and bait. JMars if I'm fishing an open water situation I my leader is typically the same weight as the main line, but if I'm fishing have cover like log jams or big rocks I'll use trot line rope for my leader. It doesn't seem to affect the fish at all where I fish.