Lead

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by smhmc6, May 30, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anybody know where to get alot of cheap lead? I've never looked around for it, but I know people pour their own sinkers. I'm kind of looking for alot of it, not really to pour sinkers... I'd like to pour it into coffee cans or something to make good trotline weights (so quality or pureness doesn't really mater). So I'm thinking like 30-50 pounds of it. I looked at ebay and there are a few people selling it, but its about $.80/lb. plus about $10 shipping. I think i've heard of people using wheel weights or window weights... but where do you find them? Any suggestions/ melting and pouring tips will be very valuable to me... thanks.

2. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Try finding a place where they sell tires and get their used wheel weights, or try a junk yard.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    go to your local junk yard, that'd be the best place to start.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys... I thought about maybe a tire store. I guess I could ask them, but i was thinking that 50 pounds was kind of alot. I also thought about a scrap yard... you think they would sell lead or just scrap steel and aluminum and stuff like that? I could also try a junkyard like you said... but I would think i'd have to go strip off alot of weights to add up to what I want. Thanks again for your comments and keep 'em coming.

5. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you are pouring into coffee cans why not try concrete? prolly wont weigh quite as muchh but alot easier to get ahold of and cheaper too!

6. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i get most of my lead from plumbers or the same place i take my aluminum cans.
    while my dad was still here, he bought me a lee 20lb production pot (was like $80 i think) and a couple of different molds.

7. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I get a lot of my lead from plumbers, construction sites and junk yards. My best find yet is the tire shops. you can usually buy it maybe 15 cents a lb and that is expensive.

Good luck brother

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Larry, you are right. I have tried the concrete idea. I filled about 6 2 quart "buckets" with quickcrete a while back. They come out to about 10 pounds a peice, which is ok... but even when I tie two of them on my line it doesn't seem like its enough to keep the line tight. I did a little calculating and using the density of lead, 2 quarts comes out to be about 50 pounds!! If I could do something like that it would sure take up less space and I know it would hold my lines tight. Of course I could pour concrete into bigger buckets or something, but I'd really like to keep the weights down to a minimum size. The set up I have is my trotlines are in 5 gallon buckets just like in the library and if I made a heavy enough and small enough weight I can just store it in the bucket too... keeps it nice and organized and all in one package. But thanks for the suggestion.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys... seems like you all say the best places are tire shops and junkyards. I'll have to give 'em a try.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    salvage yards are your best bet.i got 750 lbs.for 35 dollars.just make sure and check it out.when i got mine home about 300 lbs.of it was battery lead.you have got to be real careful when melting it.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use old pipes or oil rig chains for trotline weights. 5 links of some of that chain weighs 22lbs and can be too much of a weight.
    My fav is half a window weight, but i dont ever sink my lines all the way to bottom either

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Another vote for concrete.
    Don't use a coffee can or bucket though.
    Make them flat so they won't roll.
    That way you don't NEED so much weight.
    I used cardbord cereal boxes. Put a plastic bag in them with a length of old chain to tie to and fill them with concrete. . They lie flat in the water which makes them hard to move.
    If one ain't enough use 2.
    They are heavy enough they were all I wanted to handle out of the boat anyway. Stuck in the mud its a struggle.

best of luck
    just

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The more weight your trot line anchor has, the less capacity your boat has. You may back yourself into a corner where only 1 person (IF even one) can legally be in the boat at the same time. LOL

14. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys. I liked the idea of lead because I could get so much weight out of just a little bit. Thought it would be compact and organized you know. But the flat concrete may work too now that i think about it. Like I said I use concrete in 2 quart buckets right now... and its just not enough (even with two of them weighing 10 pounds a piece). But if it were flat, maybe it would stay down better. The way I rig my trotlines is just tie it to a log or something solid and then string it out tight and then put a weight on the end to keep it tight. Thanks again for the suggestions.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I wouldn't (and won't) pay for lead from a tire shop. It's a waste product that they have to get rid of somehow; you're doing them a service to take it from them.

Unfortunately, many tire shops here in the big city have contracted with their battery distributor for the used lead, and apparently the distributors don't mind paying for it.

I had to go to about 7 or 8 different shops before I found one that would give me some lead. Got a 70 lb bucket and am set for a while now. It's a nasty, smelly mess trying to melt the tire weights down but it beats paying $.50/lb on eBay.

One local scrap metal dealer wanted $1/lb for lead. I laughed in their face.

Be persistent and you'll eventually find a source - it took me several months and I had to resort to buying lead on eBay a few times, but those days are over...

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Another source of weights for trotlines are old automobile rims and old fly wheels. You should get both at junk yards cheap. Just tell them you don't want one thats serviceable. LOL They think rims are made of gold. I'm sure there has been a wreck or two which rolled up the rims. Both these items hold good on mud/sand bottoms, but are not worth a hoot in rocks - but what is?

17. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    It ain't gonna stay flat after you put wet concrete in it unless you put it between a couple of immovable objects.I used a couple of boards.Secure it with tape or twine so the sides don't bulge.
    best of luck
    just