Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4,527 Posts
I get mine from metal recyclers. They wanted .75 per pound for wheel weights and .83 for cleaner lead. I got 31 pounds of the clean lead...not because I'm rich but because they were out of wheel weights. LOL

· Registered
5,379 Posts
Last I got was from DWB over in the Gateway section. 100 pounds of shot for $45 I think. Just before that I found 50 pounds of wheel weights on Craigslist, for $15. Of course, there was a lot of trash in the box with the lead.

· Registered
921 Posts
I searched online (St. Louis) and found a place on Olive or Page, just north(?) of 170. I cannot remember the name of the place, but they sold lead bar - clean. He had a minimum of 300 - 400 lbs, and quoted me at $1.25 - $1.35 per lb. I didn't buy any, as I found a better deal. But, if you get several other people together I am sure you could pitch him an offer say, 500 lbs for $1.10 per lb, or something like that. Plus it is pure, clean and easy to handle, which in some cases is great or worth it!

Again, I tried to look, and I cannot remember what I entered to find this business, but I am sure it was on Olive or Page just north of 170. I think I used, "Lead Fabricator", "Lead Manufacturer", or something to that affect in my search. But, I cannot find it again....

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this the place you write of?
Custom Lead Products - Overland Lead and Sales Co. - Missouri

SmokinBarrel
I searched online (St. Louis) and found a place on Olive or Page, just north(?) of 170. I cannot remember the name of the place, but they sold lead bar - clean. He had a minimum of 300 - 400 lbs, and quoted me at $1.25 - $1.35 per lb. I didn't buy any, as I found a better deal. But, if you get several other people together I am sure you could pitch him an offer say, 500 lbs for $1.10 per lb, or something like that. Plus it is pure, clean and easy to handle, which in some cases is great or worth it!

Again, I tried to look, and I cannot remember what I entered to find this business, but I am sure it was on Olive or Page just north of 170. I think I used, "Lead Fabricator", "Lead Manufacturer", or something to that affect in my search. But, I cannot find it again....​

· Registered
984 Posts
I had a bunch on hand earlier this year. I picked it up from a lead shot reclaimer for .70 per pound...but you had to buy 2000 pounds of it. Thankfully it is all gone now!

Frankly, next time I am in need of sinkers I'm just going to buy them. With the cost of lead these days and the time/mess involved with making your own I am convinced that is really the better option...unless you want to make a kind/size you can't find.

There is a place online that we have been asked not to post publicly where you can buy all the sinkers you might need for what works out to be around .90 per pound (example: 100 8oz no-rolls are $45). And you don't have to mess around with making them!!

Shoot me a PM if you decide to go this route and I'll send you the website link.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
You can buy ebay lead for a little more than $1 a pound. A scrapyard may be a lot cheaper.

I did like Dan, ordered from a sinker store. Some of the local baitshops get $1 for a 4oz sinker and you can order them for 35 cents or so and get a style you want. Breaking off $1 sinkers and $1 bait and a hook can get on a guy's nerves.

· Registered
52 Posts
you can get lead at a conservation shooting range with alittle work for free..
We have went to the range and took a hard rack and racked the hill behind the targets and got all the bullets out of it. It takes a little work but it is free.. Just remember to clean up your mess and should be no problems getting it this way....

But i like the post earlier 100 8ozers for $45 hard to get lead and melt it that cheap

· Registered
4,103 Posts
Lots of lead sources to be found.

gun ranges-spent bullets-lots of seperating involved.

plumbers- espesially the old small time plumbers running one or two man show may have a pile of lead pipe etc. laying around.

tire shops- once again the corner gas station that does tires may be a better location than chain stores etc as they usually have "procedures" they have to follow to take out old lead.

the obvious recycling center/ scrapyard, the last I bought was 40 cents a lb for wheel weights and 45 cents for other scrap lead. the nice thing was someone had hauled in two 5 gal buckets full of fishing weights as scrap, no work on my part.

talk to construction crews that might work on hospitals ect. lots of lead sheilding and stuff around those places.

if all else fails toss a ad on C-list, someone will remember a pile sitting in their garage or something and call you.

· Registered
367 Posts
Can anyone tell me where in St Louis I can buy scrap lead for making sinkers? I am casting a fortune away in the Miss. Thanks.
J
I know you said in St Louis but on ebay I just got 50lbs of already cleaned 2lb ingots each for $50... not bad $1 a pound and it was already cleaned all I had to do was melt it down today and pour my wights!

· Registered
4 Posts
Friends dad gave this to me. He say he can get more but not sure where they cam from?
dont melt it down lol jk well it ses the plant that made them went out of bissnes in 1933 heres the original notice, NOTICE

It is with regret we announce that because of the pre-
vailing low price of pig lead and the unfavorable outlook for
improvement in the near future, coupled with the low grade
of our limited remaining ore reserves, the St. Francois Mill
and Mines Nos. 2, 7 and 8 will be permanently shut down,
effective February 28, 1933.

St. Louis Smelting & Refining Works
of National Lead Co.
By A. J. CASELTON, Manager.
Dated January 5, 1933.

· Registered
554 Posts
dont melt it down lol jk well it ses the plant that made them went out of bissnes in 1933 heres the original notice, NOTICE

It is with regret we announce that because of the pre-
vailing low price of pig lead and the unfavorable outlook for
improvement in the near future, coupled with the low grade
of our limited remaining ore reserves, the St. Francois Mill
and Mines Nos. 2, 7 and 8 will be permanently shut down,
effective February 28, 1933.

St. Louis Smelting & Refining Works
of National Lead Co.
By A. J. CASELTON, Manager.
Dated January 5, 1933.
wow it has been laying around for awhile. Cool thanks for sharning that. I almost don't want to melt it now. It has some history with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.