Lead Weights

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Nessie, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For all of you who fish the Mississippi for big blues and are sick of losing bank sinkers...

I am not sure what all of you do for lead weights (i.e. pour your own or buy them) but we had been buying them at Bass Pro and they were really expensive ($6 for one 12 oz weight) so I looked for a cheaper source. I ended up finding sinkers for sale on E-Bay from a power seller named "johnnyleadpot". I was able to buy 65 lbs of sinkers (equivalent of 104 10oz sinkers) from him for a total of $117 including shipping. It seemed like a good deal to me considering what I had been paying. Just thought I would let you know in case any of you are interested.

2. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Steve,
    That is a good price but I can do you one better. Beg, Borrow, or steal lead and we'll cast our own. I just weasled out about 100lb of lead from the local tire shop from their old wheel weights. Not the best lead but for free you can't beat it. Between all the members here we have enough mold to make any of the sinkers. I have 2,3,4,5,6,8,12oz bank sinker moulds you can use if you need them. Do a search for "leadstock 08" and you will see what I mean. Everyone went to Cuz's house and drank a few and casted most all the sinkers they would need for the year.I couldn't make it last year but will next year.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The last year I paid for weights, I figured I'd lost about $100 worth of lead to the river. Since then I've gotten together with Brad, Andrew and Josh and we pour around 500lbs every winter. Sure is easier on the pocket!

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Yeah Steve, save your money.. We will be having another leadstock before long.. I've got a little lead saved for it, not as much as I did last time though..

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yup Steve, they have said it all. We will have Leadstock 2 again this winter. You will walk away with a hundred pounds of sinkers and it wont cost you one red cent. Try and beat that on Ebay. :big_smile:

Between all the members, we have every lead mold imaginable. Between now and Leadstock, just do what you can to collect up old tire weights from shops and any place you might find scrap lead. Well burn it down to ingots, and then well fire up the ol melting pots and make whatever type of sinker it is you desire. Well have em all. In the mean time, you are more than welcome to come to my house and well get you enough to get buy until then. I still have two five gallon buckets of tire weights on the barn porch. (Rat set them there this winter, and, well, I'm not strong enough to lift them to move them in the barn) :embarassed: My wife said, next time Rat comes to visit can you have him lift the lead buckets into the barn. :roll_eyes:

We need to start working on Darrens son to come to leadstock again this year. Man, that kid made over a thousand pounds by hisself.

Well probably have Leadstock II around the March time frame, to get ready for the fishing season. You can expect plenty of cold beverages, and Ole Jer will show his cooking prowess by deep frying us two fat butterball Turkeys. Last year, Ryan Casey brought several pounds of Walleye that were pretty tasty also. It was a great time. Cooincidentally, Leadstock 1 was Gateways first official meeting. I think we had some 40 people in attendance. We also had brother slider show us just how it is you cast a 20 foot cast net, and get it to open like a parachute every time. The best part was watching everyone else after him TRY and get it to open.

6. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    when u come up with a date let me know i dont want to miss leadstock 2

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Im there also, Cuz I might have to take you up on some get by lead also. Bank fishing is tough on lead...........lol I've been using rocks and spark plugs but cant hold bottom

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    This time, can I get some?:sad2:

9. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the offer on the lead weights Cuz, but from the looks of the posts from Willie and Kutter, I think I may have to wait in line for free lead sinkers:roll_eyes:. Anyway, I already bit the bullet on the 65lb bag of lead sinkers. I hope to be able to make it to Leadstock II. It sounds like a good time.

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Nellie you don't understand when Cuz said that Darren's son poured close to a thousand pounds of lead last time he wasn't kidding! If everyone shows up with lead like last time there will be more than enough for everyone to take some home. I know that I took home enough weights of various sizes and shapes to last me all year long.

I'm looking forward to Leadstock II and hanging out with everyone again. I think watching Tim try to teach everyone how to throw that net of his was worth the ride down to Cuz's all by itself.

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Yeah, I think I might even take some home this time.. I'm running awful low.. I've got about 50 lbs of lead at the house and then thats the last of it.

12. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Do you have to be a member to attend?Sounds like a good time.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    No, non members just have to supply a minimum of 100#'s of lead, 2 case's of AB product, 4 hours on the melting pots, and clean up after event closes. :crazy: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: j/k

14. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I have 20 to 30lbs or so I'll be bringing

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I weighed the pro's & cons, I have bout 3-350 invested in molds and pot......and I pour bout 500 bucks or better worth a year so in the long run it its cheaper to own and buy yer lead...not always easey to get though!