Lead Weights

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by orion_xxvx, Mar 27, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Is it our respondsibility to come up with a weight that disolves and doesnt reek havoc on the enviroment?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    As we are placing ourselves on the ladder as conservationalist I would say yes it is our responsibility to move forward in the care for and of our natural resources. If we don't give voice to these matters then who will. But in the mean time until we or someone comes up with something better to use I still will use what works best and I am afraid that as of right now it is lead.

3. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    If steel was used id guess one could drag a big magnet through to gather weights brass has no ferrite. I have heard of using wife as boat anchor but usually can get anchor back ....so what good is that?

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    How about using an ice cube. It would have weight so you could cast it, would disolve in the water allowing your live bait or cut bait to flow with the current. It seems that lead is a mineral that came from the earth, so how in the devil is it pollution to return it to the ground?

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats what im saying if it came from the ground hows that bad??? were really just moving it from one spot to another!:confused2:

6. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i have contemplated on what to do because some states are lead free states . nebraska isnt yet but since we have to use steel shot to hunt waterfowl im sure it wont be long before they come to the fishermen too. now i have come up with 2 things one is a doughball.. i make it up and freeze it with a barrel swivel inside and the line hanging out to attach to my rig. works for a couple hours before it defosts and goes away but it chums for me while i use it for a weight.

the other is well i live next to a quarry. so i got all kinds of rocks just a few minutes of drilling some holes and gorilla gluing some eyelets in them works fine too. you get any kind of weight you want that way too.

both ways are cheap and easy one serves 2 purposes.

just an idea.

7. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I think uranium comes from the ground and so does that gas that is on top of shale that causes cancer. Lead isnt a bad thing unless its in something that you consume. Like paint ...just kidding. The rock idea has potential. I was thinking surely some fishing genius has come up with something that disolves over 24 hrs or so and has a density equal to or greater than that of lead and is enviromently friendly.

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I live in a lead free state but that is for duck and goose hunting.I don't hunt eather and never will never eat eather and never will so I don't care if there is a duck or goose out there.Don't worry about using lead for fishing weights because there ain't no duck that's gonna pick up a 2 oz bank sinker and eat it.
    I was using rocks for fishing weights when I was a kid and I've used them a few times since I've been grown and they work but not near as good as lead.I think I have enough weights and lead ingots to last me a while but I have 7 grandsons that love to catfish so I still try to get all the free tire weights I can get my hands on,heck I got almost 100lb this week.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    In Pennsylvania its illegal to hunt waterfowl with lead shot cause they eat it.
    I would hate to see them ban lead for fishing.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Lake fork tackle makes carolina riggin weights from steel that i actually prefer. The have a tiny plastic core where the line goes thru and i don't think it's as abrasive as weights with just a hole thru them. Current lead prices here are 60 cents/pound,,,,it's not cheap

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yall need to make friends with the guys at the tire shops! i have been pouring 3,4,and 5 oz. bank sinkers, as well as a bunch of eggs of various sizes. the 2 ounce bank sinkers are are 4 for $3.50, that's frieking ridiculous!!! i got a propane stove for 7 bucks, a cast iron skillet for 10, and a mold for 30 dollars. it all paid for itsself the first time i used it. try getting wheel weights even when you don't need them, and when you get low on weights melt, clean and pour and you're good to go. folks have been using lead weights for a long time and unless dirctly ingested i don't think there is any real risk of harm... until of course someone starts using mercury weights :smile2: then we'll have a serious problem on our hands!

12. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Someone correct me if I am wrong---- I thought that the more lead left in the water the more parts per million lead is introduced into the fish,,,, If I eat the fish then I can elevate the lead content in my body to unhealthy levels.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They have the sinkers made out of tin. They have a light mass to them and don't cast and sink as well. You often need to use double the amount you would use with lead sinkers.....

14. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I make my own weights out of rocks. I go to local stone store and for a dollar a pound i get #3 & #4 stones. I use old telephone wire and twist eyelets them epoxy the wire to each stone. If stone snags just pull on fishin line and wire will pull loose from the stone. Stones weigh from 1/2 ounce to 3 ounces. Also because of the shape of the stones, a lot of them are no roll in the river current. I`ve been using them for a couple of years now and have no problems with them.{ except for some funny looks from a fue people,but i`m not sure if the looks are for my weights or me and my 106# Shepard in a 14ft. boat :smile2: } For 4 dollars i made about 120 weights. SORRY WALLMART :eek:oooh:

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Call me what you must , but i use lead , melt it myself from tire weights and battery terminals :0a23:

16. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I just heard in the last week that hear in California, you can no longer hunt rabbits are ground squirrels with a 22 using led bullets. they say that it is to perfect the Condor, witch is an endangered bird. What will be coming next no guns at all?

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    If they made a law like that in Mississippi there wouldn't be one of them over sized buzzards left.

18. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Actually, I've been looking for Depleted Uranium. It has a density of 19.1g/cm³, compared to Leads 11.34g/cm³.
    Figure that any thing that weighs heavier than lead would be better.
    Plus after a couple of years, it'd be real easy to find the glowing fish.

:004:

19. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i make my own lead sinkers. if you fish as much as alot of us i don't know how you could afford to buy them. second, a lot of this ban lead sinker business is propaganda by peta to get their agendas passed. they know they can't get hunting and fishing banned all at once so they will peck away at our practices. i am all for the environment, heck i spend most of my spare time in the outdoors. but i am skepticle of some things that are told for fact.

20. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I had to pay .25 cents an oz. for egg weights last week at a local tackle shop. Wal-mart did not have any. I bought a mold and started casting my own. Lead has gone tru the roof on price as other metals have. The cost of everything has gone up except my pay check, so I have to save every dime I can. Catfishjon