Lead - Using Car Batteries as lead?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by fridaybocopw, Feb 15, 2009.

1. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok so I couldn't think of anywhere else to post it where it might get seen. I am wanting to make my own weights. I know that I can buy bulk lead and I'm going to hit up some of the tire shops, anywhere else that I can get lead? Anyone ever tried car batterys, I've read elsewhere that they are a lot of work but I have about 20 around the house that I don't want to pay to get rid of might as well put them to use while its cold and I have free time. I've thought about trying some abandoned houses and looking for some old lead pipe, but other that that I can't think of anywhere to get lead from. Just trying to save a buck. Thanks

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I would also lean toward stayin away from the house idea. Somebody owns it and tearin it up would not be cool. :cool2:

4. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I realize the hazard, but when a battery is junk we always drain the acid and some have been drained for a couple years. Thanks though I'm sure some people don't know what a good ole battery acid burn feels like:dribble:

5. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Oh yea wouldn't go anywhere that I wasn't supposed to be, theres a couple places I hunt that are old homesteads that are no longer in use.

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    scrap batteries sell at the scrap yard for around .10 to .18cents a pound .. you can sell them and buy you some lead!! if you are dead set on extracting the lead keep a couple boxes of baking soda on hand incase it gets on you so you can neutralize the acid...

7. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the link, I tried searching for lead earlier but nothing came up, looks like batterys are a waste of time.

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    yep i tried them once myself way too much waste in them for no more lead then ya get ,, ill never do it again . now the lead posts ontop of them is easy to brake off but again alot of work for no more then ya get .

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    The only usable lead your gonna get from a battery is the two top post, the rest is more of a paste...... Talk to (Hicksh) Herold, He was in the bussiness for years, will tell you the same, not worth messing with. Also don't over look your scrap yards, the will sell it to you as well as anyone else. several places to keep an eye on, one of the best is the local hospital, find out when they are going to have th eX-ray rooms redone (usually ever few years) they have to replace all the lead, also do the sme with MRI machines, and your looking at tons of it....LOL more than you can haul off. Just like the lead vest things they wear in the x-ray rooms, they have to change them out every few years, they run about 50 pounds each.

10. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks, I hadn't really thought about the scrap yards, I usually want to sell them stuff not buy anything from em lol.

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Mike whered you drain the ol battery acid at? And if it's drained for a coulpe year's the lead still has been saturated in acid am sure the fume's could kill ya :eek:oooh:

12. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We use a battery acid container that you buy the acid in. We keep it around for the farm truck and tractors in case they get low. They sit more than they get used so when we go to start them you know the story, dead battery flat tire, out of gas, to much water in the gas. If it aint one thing is another

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Mike bad idea i had same idea whean i was geting into sinker making yes its a lot of work i just did one the lead inside the one i tried was all mushy it soakes up the acid i never did try to melt it i gave up whean i got to thinking the lead fumes are bad alone thean add acid fumes to go with it little brother its just not worth the risk please dont try it

14. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    You might try looking for a pull-your-own autosalvage yard. The ones we have here leave the tires and wheels on the cars until they crush them. With all those wheels there are thousands of wheel weights that could and should be recycled.

15. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Where in MO do you live??

If it's close to fairfax in KCK down by the GM plant. There is a recycling yard there called

Shostak Iron and Metal Co., Inc.
    700 Kindelberger Road
    Kansas City, Kansas 66115

Phone: 913-321-9210
    Out of Town Call: 800-677-9210
    Fax: 913-321-9215
    E-mail:
    info@metalrecyclingkc.com

Hours:
    Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
    We accept the last load Mon-Thur at 4:15 PM
    We accept the last load Friday at 4:00 PM

http://www.metalrecyclingkc.com/services.nxg

They will buy Batteries For around 5.00 (guess) each based on weight like the post stated before and they will sell you lead it might cost a little more then somewhere else.

But you will get rid of the batteries and the EPA will be happy and you will be safe IMO:smile2:

16. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    bad idea trying to use car batteries just not much if any lead in modern car batteries and the acid and fumes cant do ya any good i know there are people on ebay that sell lead now whether its worth the cost i dont know never really priced it all out

17. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

i tried the wheel weights before and they worked. But you gotta watch cuz i had two different types of lead when i got a bucket full. One had a lighter color and it was smooth and the other kind looked just like plain lead on the wheel weight. the smooth lighter color wheel weight smoked ALOT! lol i was melting lead in my basement and i almost had a heart attack when i saw the smoke so it hurried up and started opening doors cuz that stuff cant be good for you:crazy: also when using wheel weights for making sinkers, when you melt it, you gotta keep taking the metal attached to it off. when you melt like 5 of them it gets messy with all that metal.

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You don't have to see smoke for it to be bad for you. That's some dangerous stuff.

Never melt lead indoors. Never.

Outdoors, with a breeze, or at a minimum, a garage with the doors open and a fan blowing.

19. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    And I don't intend to find out either:beat_brick:However,it's interesting cause being a female I didn't really associate car batteries with lead.:eek:h:

20. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    As far as disposal of the acid is concerned check out a product called "Liquid Fire". It's a drain cleaner you can find at hardware stores. It is 96% sulfuric acid!!......and you pour it down the drain!!!! Thats much more potent than battery acid, and much more dangerous. I do not reccomend using this product because of the fumes, and possable reaction in the pipes (remember that most drain cleaners are mostly made of caustic, the opposite of acid) that can cause it to burp the acid back at you. However, sulfuric acid down the drain is not as bad as most people think it is.

THAT BEING SAID, I STILL SAY THAT BATTERIES ARE NOT THE WAY TO GO FOR LEAD!!!!!! THESE GUYS ARE RIGHT, GO TO THE SCRAPYARD, TIRE SHOP, JUNKYARD ETC..:wink: