Lead used for trolling

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Allen42, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    The only way I have ever fished for cats is on the bottom with lead , ALWAYS trying to use enough lead to keep it where you threw the bait , NOW I hear the way to catch Biguns is by Trolling/drifting ?? Also hear that these folks use lead that comes in a peice of rope or a platic tubing ?? So where around Columbia can you buy this type of rig ? Also what size hooks do ya use ?

Many Thanks

Allen

PS, if anybody has a pic they can post of the drift rig that would be MOST Hdelpful !!

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Bass Pro carries the rig you are talking about but I just use a 1.5 to 3 ozs egg sinker myself.

3. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    So, you just let your egg sinker drag the bottom ? Also, I assume the reel is engaged so you have NO CLICKER ?

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use a 1 oz round sinker, the type with an eye on top when drifting.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Allen, drifting is just an option, not necessarily the best way to fish. It works really well on the santee cooper lakes, in particular, because it allows you to drift with the wind and cover a lot of territory. Bluecats roam around following bait, and drifting is usually more productive. However, anchoring in a good location can produce channels, flatheads, and even blues. Drifting may or may not be the best for you, but it's worth a try, for sure. Some drift with 1oz. egg sinkers, carolina rig, straight down to the bottom, then reel the bait up a foot or so off bottom. This works well at times, especially in the dead forest on lake marion.
    Drifting with 'snake' or 'slinky' weights is a way to drift with your line behind the boat at roughly a 45 degree angle, and have less hangups from logs or stumps than with an egg sinker. If you are interested, just do a search for drift fishing on the site. The weights can be purchased a most tackle shops around lakes marion or moultrie, but run ~$1.50 or so per. Some folks like myself make their own. I think mine would probably run me 25 - 40 cents each at most, if I were to figure it out.:smile2:

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  7. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    MAN Blackwater You are talking about JUST what i wanna try, the Slinky lead ... I reload shotgun & Rifle & have plenty of Shot of different sizes,, what Kinda of material is used ? Parachute cord? , are the ends just tied shut on one end & tied to a swivle on the other end?If not Parachute cord, what is it & where can ya get it ?

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is the latest Catfish Drift Sinker that I developed over the past few months. This one weighs 1 ounce and is very easily bendable as you can change the length by cutting the wire and or adding in a swivel pictured below.

Attached Files:

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The library has some made out of tubing, you may want to check that out also. Blackwatercats, I make the same thing you do and will have to try the bead above the bobber, that sounds like a great idea.

10. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    Thanks for that Pic Teamwhikers, I read on this site somewhere about doing them that way, I think the guy said they sell that kind of wire @ the hardware store,,,, maybe called Music wire? ,,, I think that should work great too !

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    ALLEN, i order the para cord from http://www.vtarmynavy.com/sinker_cord.htm or http://www.fishermanshack.net/mcart/index.cgi?task=show&cat=Slinky+Drifter+Components
    I use the magnum size (3/8") with #4 buckshot.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Benji, the bead seems to help some. It will work better if it is secured to or just ahead of the float. I tried using hot glue to secure it to the front of the cork, but a toothpick peg works better. This can help keep the bead from sliding back toward the sinker, and becoming less effective, something that Roundhill pointed out to me. At any rate, my hangups seem to be a little less with the bead. I've tried some other types of sinkers, but the slinky is flexable, and tends to just roll across structure, in most cases.:smile2:

13. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    allen,catawba tackle in rock hill sells all the stuff to make up those drift rigs,he has the cord,shot and all,he also sells the slinky weights already made,the last i bought were a dollar apiece,he makes them up himself,my brother has bought all the stuff from him and made up a bunch,it is time consuming to do,but worth it,they very seldom snag,the best drift weights i have ever seen

14. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    Yall ALL have been so HELPFUL !!! Thanks SO VERY Much !!! Dunno If I can get any by this weekends Trip as I have to Cook BBQ for the Schools Booster club all day tomorrow BUT Res assured I WILL have some SOON !!!

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Guess I'll be going to Rock hill soon.

16. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Allen. I really appreciate the response and positive feed back. It certainly does not take a rocket scientist to figure out simple practical solutions for equipment that our Sport and Industry desperately needs. Here is another one that is very inexpensive that everyone can make and use. Take a paper clip and bend it out straight putting a loop at the top to tie your line onto or a swivel if necessary. Run a few ΒΌ, 3/8 or 1/2 ounce egg sinkers onto the paper clip depending upon how much weight you think that you will need for it to sink properly. Then secure it with a pair of needle nose pliers using a split shot or two at the end or in between the egg sinkers will work also.. I have actually used this rig with an 8 ounce no roll before as you can pretty much use any slip sinker will work.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Marty. I didn't list catawba, since you have to go there to get the stuff. Roundhill sometimes will pick up things from there and bring them to me when he comes down. I will say, the magnum, or 3/8" size is a little easier to get the shot into than the one I got from catawba, but only slightly so. I actually purchased a brass tube, and stuffing tool from the site in Oregon, but it doesn't help much. I use the stuffing tool ( a 't' handle with a 1/8" rod about 8" long) and can make up a lot of sinkers while I'm watching tv.

18. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This is one that I made for drifting

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ronald, how exactly do you go about making those?

20. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i took a piece of 3/8 pipe and split it, welded it to a plate with a pr. of vise grips and welded the other half to the other jaw but didnt weld it to the plate so when i opened the vise grips one side stayed there and the other side would pull off. and when locked close pour hot lead in the tube and stick a swivel in the top so when it cools it stays there then dip them in plasti coat. i can make 2 at a time. it took some trial and error to figure it out but it still better than paying what they cost.i made up about 50 in a few hrs. i will try to post a pic of the device so it will be more clear.