Lead shot with a full choke

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Rajun_Cajun, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    can you use a full choke and shoot lead shot cause i know steel shot really creates alot of stress in your barel when shooting with a full choke. but i was just wondering cause turkey season is opening in like 9 days in kansas!!!! w00t.

2. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    There are full. extra full and super full chokes. These are usually rated for lead, but check the inscription on the side some are made for lead only and some are made for steel only, others will shoot both. For turkeys I shoot an extra full, Remington 870 3 inch or a Franchi Super Full 3.5 if the turkeys want to keep thier distance I usually switch to the 3.5 inch Franchi, but I prefer the 870. Always make sure the choke you use is rated for the shot you are using. STEEL SUCKS in a lead rated tube.

3. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    will it say if its rated like on the side of the choke or what? or is there like a little panflet i should have saved?

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Unless other wise stated all chokes are rated for lead. The only problem is when you use steel shot.

Good luck on your hunt.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Evening, As mentioned By Others THe Choke Tubes Will Be Clearly Stamped "For Lead Shot Only".

I Shoot A Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag, 3-1/2". I have Killed Birds Cleanly @ Over 40 Yds With It Using #4 Shells From Winchester, Double X Turkey Loads.

Our Season Just Ended Here Yesterday, I Let All The Jakes Walk & Couldn't Get The Gobblers In Close Enough. It's Been Extremely Windy & They Were Very Quiet This Year.

Hope Your Luck Was Better THan Mine, Get A BIGGUN, Elliot

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have a Mossberg 500 12ga 3in mag. with a super full choke.I don't turkey hunt or I should say I don't kill turkeys cause I do call them up to look at em.From the paterns I have shot it would kill turkeys with #4 buckshot at 100yds.Heck I have killed deer at 40yds with an 18in barelled cylender bore 12ga scater gun shooting 3in mag #4buck.

7. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    The choke that I purchase is an Extra Full and I can use either lead shot or copper shot, but they best shot the manafactures recommends is the lead. I would suggest going by the manfactuers recommendation.

chris