Lead running out? Something to think about ..

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JBrooks, Jul 5, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A buddy at work asked me how lead is formed, mined, whatever. I decided to goto good 'ole Wiki to read about it for a bit. I found some pretty good information:

Production and recycling

Production and consumption of lead is increasing worldwide. Total annual production is about 8 million tonnes; about half is produced from recycled scrap. Top lead producing countries, as of 2008, are Australia, China, USA, Peru, Canada, Mexico, Sweden, Morocco, South Africa and North Korea.[4] Australia, China and the United States account for more than half of primary production.[6]

• 2008 mine production: 3,886,000 tones
    • 2008 metal production: 8,725,000 tones
    • 2008 metal consumption: 8,706,000 tones[7]
    At current use rates, the supply of lead is estimated to run out in 42 years.[8] Environmental analyst, Lester Brown, however, has suggested lead could run out within 18 years based on an extrapolation of 2% growth per year.[9] This may need to be reviewed to take account of renewed interest in recycling, and rapid progress in fuel cell technology.

-----------

18 years? 42 years? I wonder what the later generations will be using to anchor down in the current! Not to mention firearms, etc ...

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I keep a 1 to 2 year supply of scrap lead on hand at most all times.I got 7 molds on hand at the time,Ihad a few more but sold them because I wasn,t using them anymore.I don,t think the problems gonna be running out of lead,the problems gonna be lead being banned everywhere eventually! I got a good source for free scrap lead.Even if I didn,t, I still would want to have my molds and melter for when it does get banned here.I don,t think I,m being paranoid,look what they,ve done with lead shotshells already.I aint no lawbreaker on no regular basis,but until they can stop all the stuff that gets put into our water,they aint telling me what kind of sinker I can use.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ill second that !!!

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it will all be illegal to use before we ever run out of it :(

5. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Watch out for the anti's like PETA. See what has happened to hunters on some state and most federal lands. No hunting with lead shot. I think we'll see a lead ban on some waters before long, effecting fishing sinkers and lead head jigs, etc. OMO

Hope everyone had a great 4th.:wink:

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Don't really understand why Anti's would ban the use of lead shots in hunting. If it comes in contact with the animal, lead or not, it's more than likely going to die. I just don't get it.

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thats interesting.I hope they never ban it.

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    who knows what the silly idiots will do next

9. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    I here ya Pat, I,ve got at least 300 lbs. of lead all poured into ingots, and enough sinkers poured to last me 2-3 years before I'll ever need to pour more. I agree with you, they need to concentrate on banning dumping chemicals, raw sewage, pharmaceuticals ect. in our waters. Common sense tells me to worry more about that, than a solid hunk of lead laying silted over on the bottom of the river. But, theres nothing common about common sense any more.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

You said exactly what I was trying to say. Haha.

11. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Ya its ridiuclous here in california you can only use steel shot for waterfowl but you can still use lead sinkers for fishing... But I do know that the difference between lead shot and steel shot is that lead penetrates where as steel shot is supposed to bounce off.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

The main reason they cite is because waterfowl eat them.They all eat some kind of grit to help them digest their food.they say it will poison them.:roll_eyes:

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If we run out of lead i will dive to the bottom of the rivers and lakes and get all the lead weights we all have lost over the years:smile2::smile2::wink: