lead question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Memphis_Catfish_King, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    i came across some old car batteries that were laying behind my barn..no liquid left in them, can the lead be melted down used for weights or is the acid that might be left be too dangerous?

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Yes there is lead in there. I had the same idea a month or so ago.

After I demolished the battery with a hammer, I collected everything I thought was lead. However, half of the battery plates are not lead. They are heavy but what material I don't know but it sure don't melt.

Any way, I took my other dead battery to the recycle station because the amount of lead returned was not worth the effort.

Robert

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yeah there would be two different types of metal....
    because batteries run off of electroplating..(right?)

well i think particles move from one metal to the other.

this might be it but i dont know.....
    im not a genious on batteries :)

Jeff

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shy of snapping off the lead terminals, I have to agree with metalfisher, it's hardly worth the effort involved in getting the lead out for what you get in return.

5. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I carried 4 old batteries out and burned this weekend. I got about a half of cup of lead. Knock the termanils off and melt them down, that's about all the lead you'll get. A lot of wasted time hauling them down, gathering wood and a hot fire to feed.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The terminals are about the only thing worth taking from a battery. I get my lead from a couple of tire stores that will let me get it free.

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Not sure if they reuse it or not, But I was think about asking an Indoor Shooting Range .. They got Tons of lead heh.. I know I've left a few hundred rounds there hehe

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems as though I have heard there is a problem with lead from a shooting range... something about the metal jackets in the lead and they melt at about the same temp...can't remember, but I am sure there is others out there that knows the poop on shooting range lead.

9. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Range lead will work fine. The jackets float to the top and can be skimmed off. No telling what the mix ratio might be. Certainly not pure lead but will be ok for sinkers or for plinking bullets either.

10. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I melt range bullets. The alum. jackets will melt if you crank your pot up all the way. But not as fast as the lead. Lot of heavy trash. Don't really know what it is. It will melt with extra heat. A thin sheet is harder than lead.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    does anybody know where i can find information about making sinkers???

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    do a google search and you'll get a million results.

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    There is good info in the library for this also

14. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The Hard stuff is usually tin. the mix it in to harden the lead.