Lead question

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Ol Swampy, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Guys and gals,
    I have the chance to get a ton of lead for free but here is the question. It is out of a shooting trap. It is going to have quite a bit of foriegn material mixed in also. There will be copper from jacketed bullets,steel shot,bismouth and possibly some shotgun wads mixed in. Has anyone here ever tried melting anything like this down and do you think it would be worth the time. When I said a ton I think it will really be a ton or more. Let me know if you think it would be worth it.

2. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    well... i think it will be more of a mess and hassle then its worth..

but if you dont mind the time picking threw every thing then go for it ... i sell 4oz bank sinkers for .40 at the bait shop... its the cheapist ive every seen in my area.

If you have a large pot it wouldn't be to bad ... melt everything down the copper will be at the bottom and just ladle the lead out in to your molds.

3. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Shouldn't the copper and steel float? I have melted wheel weights and the tabs float right to the top. Lead would be heavier and I would presume everything else would float???? Never tried this stuff though.

4. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri

you are right . All the ash and every thing goes up top even brass ect... sorry just got in and a little tired.

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    seperate as good as you can then melt it down the impurities should float to the top

6. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    ive used a lot of it. works ok, all the junk comes to the top. if you dont want it ill take it.:wink: or call cuz ask him if i can trade that bag of sinkers he left in my boat to you for it........lmao

7. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    LoL!

When are you guys gonna be down at Columbia bottoms again fishin?

8. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    i think it would be fine. Can't be any worse than wheel weights

9. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    It's a good way to recycle the lead, I'd do that anytime. I have taken old boat and car batteries, safely disposed of the acid, broken the housing open, removed the lead and washed it well. Put it in the melting pot and made weights with it.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Since you refused my gas money offer, I figured a few sinkers would be well received lol

11. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Russ,
    Check those sinkers well.....they may have banana slime on them! LOL:smile2:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Grab the lead swamped. Well make it work lol

13. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Hey I made those sinkers for my little Nanner boy.
    Jon Let me know when and where this stuff is and I'll try melting some down in my spare time ...I still have all Nanners pots and melting stuff at my house.
    Call me and I'll help haul it

14. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Swamp I would think it would be fine. If its close by grab a five gallon bucket of it and test it out before you commit to a ton of it.

15. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    If I can get free lead I am for it. Like Ed said it cant be any worse than tire weights . And they should melt faster. Just gonna have a little by product. Maybe the copper can be separated and recycled.

16. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Free is Free! You could possiblly use a magnet to pick out some of the junk? Or just get a big pot and turn the fire up like the others said and start scooping.

17. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think you could make it worth your while with that much lead. Sure beats spending 1 buck a pound for clean stuff.

18. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    I am going to go ahead and give it a try. I am just trying to figure out how to handle 1000lb drums of it. It is on a skid so getting it here won't be bad it's just the fact of moving it after. Then what to do with all the leftover copper and steel etc.

19. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Just get rat to come over and pick it up and put it wherever you need it.

20. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri

You need a big pot made up before I head down? Like one that goes on a turkey fryer?