lead prices

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by cliff n york, Apr 4, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    when is the best time of year to buy lead

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    buy it anytime of year but instead of going and buying the lead ingots from stores go to junk yards and tire stores and see if ya can buy it there. Sometimes you can find a better source such as these I have mentioned and get a lot better price on lead any time of the year. I know of some that have bought a whole 5 gal bucket full of tire weights from a local tire store for around 5 dollars. Good Luck

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lead is like everything else HIGH !!!

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If you know any roofers hit them up also. Lots of old homes have lead flashing on them. I just had a friend give me about 30 pounds not long ago from some re-roofs he was doing. The tire shops are now helping me also. I manage to find all of mine free, just put out the word and it will start rolling in soon.

Lead prices are way, way up there....I wouldn't by it.

-Jim-

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The price of lead is not seasonal but depends upon supply and demand. I try to get my lead in late falll so I have the dead time of winter to pour most of my weights. Around here, a 3 oz bank sinker sells for about sixty cents. Thats about twenty cents and ounce, or 3.20 for a pound of sinkers. I buy lead at seventy-five cents a pound, so I don't consider the price to be high.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i get my lead for free now. we go through a lot of lead, and i make weights for a lot of people. i have found the best time to ask for lead is when you are buying a tire! they seem more willing to part with it for nothing when you are putting money in their pocket!

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i agree you can find alot of stuff at the junk stores

8. huskerkat

huskerkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Plumbers are also an idea. Sometimes they will replace a whole house full of lead pipe!
    Oh, and don't forget the toys made in China:smile2:

9. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    After duck season i have bought decoy weights on sale for as little as $5 for a 8 lb. box. Easy to get in my small pot too. I talked to my tire guy and he said if they pass this law lead tire weights will be a thing of the past. They want to go to ceramic.