lead price?

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by kyledbarnes, Jan 2, 2009.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    where can i get my lead and how much does it usually cost?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    You could try a scrap yard or go to tire shops and beg. i don't have any idea what prices are but scrap metal has gone way down from what it was. They say wheel weights make good weights after ya skim off the junk. I'm trying to learn myself so sorry i'm not much help.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I work at a auto shop so i get all the free wheel weights i want but hate dealing with the metal clips and dirt ive heard you can toss in some gulf wax once it melts and it will bunch up together and you can just skim it off the top. id rather stick to my lead pipes im lazy dont want to deal with the all the work anyone that needs some wheel weights and is in my area give me a hollar

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Its really not that bad. Turkey Fryer, Dutch Oven, Propane Tank, put wheel weights in, go do something else for 20-30 min, come back take big ladle with holes in it, scoop out metal clips, take big spoon, skim the crap off the top. Then take cast iron, ladle and scoop it full , pour into aluminum ingot molds, let cool for a few seconds, then dump them in a 5 gallon bucket of water to quench them (makes them harder). Easy Peezy Japaneezy. :smile2:

5. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    I've talked to folks from many boards on lead prices and even bullet casting sites. Prices quoted range from 25 cents at scrap yards up to 60 cents or more.

Prices have come down but if you look hard enough you'll find some free. Check with local hospitals - the vests for xrays don't last forever and sometimes if you know someone you can get them. Pure lead. Or if you find a hospital that's redoing it's xray lab RUN TO IT!!!!! sometimes you can get the contractors to give you big slabs of lead from the walls.

Got one buddy who went to a car salvage yard and talked the owner into letting him wander around with pliers pulling out tire weights off wrecks. 3 full days he ended up with 700+pounds of tire weights FREE!!

It is out there, check muzzle loader clubs they need pure to cast musket balls. Old abandoned houses that are from the 40s-50s if legal go in and check for old water pipe PURE LEAD, Just make sure to let it dry thouroly.

Fatman

6. Titus

Titus New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, Ky
    I got lead roof vents from a junk yard yesterday for .50 cents a pound. When I called they guy said we buy it for .10 cents and I'll sell it for .20 cents a pound. I didn't get his name and when I got there they said .50 cents was as low as they'd go:confused2:.

7. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    This my be the reason, speculation. "$2127 per metric ton, = 98 cents a pound. Sudden cutbacks of lead output from China could reduce the current surplus and may support prices in near term."

8. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
  9. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you would be suprised what a 12 pack will get you at a tire shop.
    smokey

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    i just bought some lead pipe from my local scrap yard at .50 cents a pound,they also wanted 40 cents a pound for wheel weights. To me the pipe was worth it but the wheel weights were way too high,cause I can get them for alot cheaper at the local tire shops. I usually do a trade with the scrap yard,haul in aluminun or something and haul out lead for sinkers,that way nobody usually loses any cash. I hauled in 4 old junk aluminum car wheels with tires removed and traded them strait across for 80 lbs of lead. If I lose 80 lbs of sinkers a year I think I'm doing something wrong!

11. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Thats a good deal don...i have a few people around here with aluminum rims on there cars:wink::smile2::smile2:...My uncle buys new rims for a bunch of cars every 2 years.. and just gives the old ons away...i might have to get ahold of them!!!and my neight bor ownes a automotive repair shop and i work for him so maybe instead of cash..ill take aluminum and wheel weights!!!

12. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    The best way to deal with the clips on the wheel weights is to thread them on a piece of wire (there's a little hole in the top of them). Just string them on and leave enough wire to hang out of the pot you're melting them in. When the lead melts off, just lift the wire and throw the whole thing away...what you have left is the lead. Enjoy!

13. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    What type of wire do you reccomend? sonething that wont melt..A clothe hanger?

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Clothes hanger will be fine.
    Any kind of wire will work as long as it's not lead. Lead has a lower melting point than any other hard metal I can think of, so most any wire will work.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  15. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    try a recycling place .......40 to 60 cents per pound....:wink:

16. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
  17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Old car/truck batteries work but require extra caution when recovering the lead. Compared to the weight of the battery there is a very small amount of lead you can recover short of melting the whole battery down which is very dangerous. Very toxic fumes are created by melting the whole battery.

18. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    true,i burn them several times,but you have to be careful.don't burn it if its sealed.just use common sense.if anyone does this please use extra caution.

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was surprised the small amount of lead that I recovered from 3 old car batteries that I melted down.