Lead Pouring/Melting

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by fishnfwl, Aug 10, 2007.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hello Fellas:
    Not sure where to post this? quick question, I just burnt up my "inferno" melter not sure what went out on it, but it didn't "smell" good, any way what I am needing to know, I have been looking for a different place to purchase one, other than the usual (BPS/CabeLas) any of you home melter's here give me a couple ideas?

Thank ya much:
    Randy

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Catfishconnection.com or 1-800-929-5025. They are located in Pana, Il. They carry several furnaces and equipment for melting lead. I hope this helps.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :eek:oooh: OMG, THANKS Mickey, I guess I have been over thinking this this evening, talk about feeling dumb...LOL have been to 4 different websites and looking looking looking, (Pana Bait) had never crossed my mind and I live 30 miles away from there!!!!!!!!! Worst part is, just the other day I told a fella that they generally have most anything ya need instock :tounge_out: been one of them days I reckon....thanks again!
    Randy

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, I know one thing....I'm finished with those electric lead melting pots and electric one burner stove eyes....I bought me a cast iron melting pot and ladle and I'm going to gas w/burners to melt my lead...The last time I used my electric burner, I waited two hrs for the lead to melt....Bam, kicked a breaker and before I could find thee right one, the lead had hardened again....Oh well, just a bad experiance all around.....If you use "tire weights", I would go with gas burners if you're melting a lot of lead....Just my opinion....Dwight

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I prefer a gas burner too. Some options I like are:
    1. If you have a fish/turkey cooker, the burner works great for melting lead.
    2. Day before yesterday, I bought a cast-iron 2-burner stove at Harbor Freight Tools for less than $25. Since I don't have to carry the thing, weight isn't a factor; and it operates off the big propane tank.
    3. One burner Coleman stove that sits on a 1# propane tank. Not as sturdy as the first two, so if you use this option, be sure to do it outside and be careful.

A cast iron pot may be nice for melting lead, but it certainly isn't necessary. I've been pouring sinkers and jigs for over 50 years, and never used one. I like to find a heavy duty saucepan that's about ready for the junkpile. If you don't already have something like that at home, go to a flea market, garage sale, or Goodwill and look for a saucepan with a non-stick surface that's so scratched up it isn't non-stick anymore. You can probably pick it up for less than a buck.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Thanks and I tend to have to agree with ya'll. I have a couple of the "fryer" stands and I think I am going to swap over to a gas set up, considering the quality of pots that I have either been buying or they have lost some serious quality control on the making, :confused2: last 2 were well junk, besides already have all the gas stuff to set up!!! just a few odds and ends..... maybe able to do it on the back walk the way the HEAT has been last week! :wink:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You're thinking of frying eggs on the sidewalk, not melting lead. :tounge_out:

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I made a steel plate to fit inside my fish fryer burner with a hole cut in it to fit the lead pot. Then I bent it on two axis so the whole thing sat in the air a bit. This funnels all of the heat directly to the bottom of your lead pot increasing efficiency.

Hope this helps. Works great!

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Darryl,

That sounds complicated...Gotta pic to show us.....How does the steel work while melting lead/cooking????Dwight

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dwight,

Don't over think this. I started with a basic turkey fryer assembly. It is basically a square frame with a burner attached to the bottom.

Cut a square piece of steel to fit inside frame and on top of grate. This is only used when melting lead. It is removable for normal use.

Cut a hole in the center of your square metal plate that is just large enough to cradle your lead pot.

Bend it in half one way, (just slightly to crease it).

Bend it in half the other way, (again just slightly to crease it).

Now your hole sets slightly higher and the flame is funneled right under your pot by the tapered steel and the heat is not wasted.

Hope thats clear enough.

Most lead pots are only about 4-5" in diameter so you want to concentrate your flame to where its needed.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I like a good sized heavy duty steel saucepan capable of holding 15#-20# of lead, if I fill it fairly full. Usually, though, I try to keep it about 1/2 full. If that sounds like a lot, consider that when I'm pouring big sinkers, I'm often pouring over 1# each time I fill the mold. If I had a small pot, I'd have to stop every couple or three pours to let more lead melt. Also, the pan is big enough that I can sit it right on my turkey cooker without worrying about the flame coming up around the sides and burning me.

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'll have to do that also when my BIG mold gets here.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    or.. just have a buddy that pours it for ya :wink:
    Pays to have friends

Attached Files:

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Pretty nice Buddy to have! Hope you scrounge some lead up for him at least. I'm sure you do.

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Ya, I owe him big time... I had called him up and asked if he any he wanted to get rid of.. He says he aint poured in a couple months, didnt know what all he had, but he'd fix me up with something... He didnt want any $$ for it, just would leave it on his porch for me to pick up.. heh.. I figured, naw, I'll throw some money in an envelope and put on his porch when I pick em up... I go there and pick up a bag FULL of all that... heh.. Kinda embarrassed on what I left him .. Must of taken some time to pour all that.. heh.... I'm working on some lead to get him some nice clean lead ingots I think I can get from a family member .. I sure do owe him now.....

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well that would be easy to do the past week or two...LOL:smile2:

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well thats about what I pour, more to the top row but a few on the bottom, and then jigs,jigs,jigs! I think I am the friend that pours evryone elses for them....:eek:oooh::smile2: But hey, they bring the lead so no complaints....

18. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I have a good supply of lead.
    Wheel weights, battery lugs.
    If your willing to pay the shipping,
    send me a PM telling me about what
    you want.
    Along with addy and phone #.

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with everyone else, I use my turkey fry burner and use a cast iron pot. I just went out in the garage and weighed the pot about 3/4 full of lead ready to go and it weighed 67 lbs. Each time I pour , I'll refill the pot and clean the lead so it will be ready for the next time. Get a good sturdy pot and stay away from thin aluminum pots. Always pour your lead outside where it is well ventilated and wear safety glasses.

20. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have a Lee Production pot I bought in 1984.I never set the heat more than half and have melted many 1000s of lb of lead and I plan to be melting lead in it for another 23 years.