Lead melting?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kylekutta, Feb 5, 2007.

1. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Does anyone know any secrets to pouring their own weights?I am going to order the equipment soon and any tips would be welcome.I have heard you want the molds hot also is that true?That came from an old timer that has not poured lead in years but I dont know why he says they have to be hot.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if your moulds arent warm sometimes the sinkers will have voids in them .usually after the first or second pour they will be hot enough that all the weights will be perfect I just re melt any that are not good enough

3. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    If I were to buy new Id probably consider a bottom pour pot. Hot molds, yes you want it to stay molten as long as possible, sometime you have to warm your hooks also. Its kind of a pain

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    ...but I dont know why he says they have to be hot.[/QUOTE]

Because the lead will cool before it fills the mold completely.
    Don't get them too hot either. The lead will run out of the mold if you do.
    best of luck

6. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    How do you heat the molds?What is the best method?

7. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    don't heat them with fire ... if you put them over open flame one side will heat up too quick and the aluminum alloy will crack ... I did that to one of mine.

just pour some lead in the cavities and let it sit in the mold for a few seconds ... then dump those sinkers back in the molten lead and do it again ... do that about 3 or 4 times and then you can start making sinkers. you also don't want the mold to get too hot either ... if it gets too hot the wooden handles will start to burn ... this will happen if you don't let the mold sit for a little while like if you're using a 20 lb melting pot you need to stop or use a different mold about 1/3 of the way through ... then go back to it ... it'll still be pretty hot by the time you change back to it so you shouldn't have to reheat it. be careful when putting the sinkers back in the molten lead though ... the sinker will be hot and ya don't want to drop them from too far up either cause some lead might splash up on ya.

when you use car tire weights you need to clean those up before using them ... get a big pot and put it on a fish fry burner like they sell at walmart ... or turkey fryer burner ... that's what I use to clean up my lead and I melt a bunch down and then put more in after I scoop the junk off he top using a ladel with holes in it ... the steal and other metal and dirt will float to the top of the molten lead ... then take a scoop and pour the molten lead into your ingot molds ... I use cornbread molds like ya get at walmart for my ingot mold ... they're only bout $3
    sometimes I'll clean up two 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights at a time. good fishin

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Another way to keep your molds warm is by placing them on a 5th burner.

9. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    You warm them up by pouring a few without hooks. It just helps the flow of lead. Sometimes if the mold is not warm and the hooks are not either with a small jig you can get alot of partial jigs because the lead really starts cooling and solidifying to fast as it hits the molds alum and then the hook also. Ever ymold is diff and larger molds usually dont have as many problems as far as I know. And I would never heat a mold over a flame. Just 2-3 test pours and then hooks heated slightly on a cookie sheet in a toaster oven. Just warm, not hot.

10. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    he wasn't talking about pouring jigs although it is necessary to do what you said just now if you're going to pour jigs. but, he's talking about sinkers/weights.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    You can keep your molds hot with a cheap hot plate from Wal-mart. Also if your gonna use tire weights Get some NRA approved Beeswax it will flux the metal and make pouring much easier. We've been getting ready for the season here and have poured over 500 lbs of sinkers so far.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    As Brad said, A hot plate works well for me. Keep your molds hot and the lead will make better sinkers.

13. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Guys,

Making sinkers and jigs is a lot of fun. My dad and I would make all of own sinkers and jigs, we would go to tire shops and get old tire weights and melt them down.

However, lead is bad stuff and can lead to some very serious health issues for you and/or your family. Lead may have effects on the gastrointestinal tract, nervous system, blood, kidneys and immune system, resulting in severe lead colic, paralysis of muscle groups of the upper extremities (forearm, wrist and fingers), anemia, mood and personality changes, retarded mental development, and irreversible nephropathy. It may also cause retarded development of the new-born children or unborn children if a pregnant woman is exposed. The primary danger is the cumulative effects of long term exposure. However, a significant short-term exposure may result in long term poor health.

Some simple precautions are:

1) Only melt and pour lead in a well ventilated area where concentrations of airborne lead fume can not become elevated.

2) Do not work with lead in area where food may be eaten or prepared (don’t melt lead on the kitchen stove).

3) It is always fun to have your children participate in hunting/fishing activities, but limit the time that children help you with this activity. Also, if you allow them to handle lead ingots or other pieces of lead make sure they wash their hands when they are finished helping.

4) Do not eat, drink, smoke, or prepare food while working with lead. Wash your hands well when you have finished.

5) Do not allow a pregnant woman to participate in this activity.

I am not trying to scare anyone from making their own sinkers, jigs, or slugs it is fun, but lead is bad stuff and should be treated with certain precautions when working with it. I have met men that have serious health issues as the result of occupational exposures.