Lead melting question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Jb1z, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Would a small portable charcoal grill be enough to melt lead to make into ingots ?

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    i would say it depends on the amount of lead you will be melting and just how good is that portable charcoal grill you will be using?

3. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Maybe about a pound at a time , and the grill has always manged to cook food real well.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    um ah not too shure on that one :confused2: maybe, youd have to have the charcoal close and whatever you were melting it in would have to be real thin like a soup can:confused2: i shure would not want to doo to mutch that way if it did work. you might even have to have forced air to fan the flame to get it hot enough.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    When I was a kid and just starting to experiment with melting lead I used a coffee can on an open flame. It melted fine but I only melted a couple pounds or so at a time...

Lead melts easily as long as it is soft lead. If your melting wheel weights it would need a hotter flame to melt easily. They add tin into the lead to make wheel weights to make them tougher and harder.

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    You can forge steel with a small forge the size of a brake drum. And charcoal would work fine.All you have to do is pour the air to it.
    So sure you can. The size doesn't matter much. Its the presentation.
    have a good 1
    just

7. jnordyke

jnordyke Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    John
    careful with "pouring the air" to it - I once got the bright idea to burn charcoal in an old aluminum gas-powered grill. I put the air gun on my pneumatic hose and "put the air to it" - and SLAGGED THE ALUMINUM grill - melted right through it!

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah thats true.
    It could be pretty dangerous. Hot metal on your feet wouldn't be pleasant. Don't want to burn the garage down either.
    Stay away from the fumes too.
    having said that
    Have a good 1
    just

9. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Before I got a melting pot, I used a single propane burner and a cast iron skillet. Worked great, as long as you kept about a half inch of melted lead in it. It usually takes about five minutes to get it started though.

10. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I used to use my Coleman stove to melt lead. It worked pretty well. When melting wheel weights I use an old iron skillet on my propane turkey frier. The first time I melted wheel weights I made the mistake of using my Lyman Mag20 in the basement. The house smelled like burned rubber for a week (a condition NOT overlooked by my wife).

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman