Lead ingots

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by justwannano, Jul 9, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm working on melting down some wheel weights with the idea of making my own sinkers.
    I've got about 20 pounds of lead melted into ingots.(actually tuna fish cans). I ran out of tuna fish cans so I decided to use muffin tins that I had stored for soap making. Well I now have 6 pretty nice looking "muffin tin" lead ingots that are not wanting to come out of the tins. I used cooking spray in hopes it would act as a release agent to keep this from happening.
    The tins were in pretty good shape,no rust , and the sides are steeply sloped so i figured this would be a pretty good idea.
    Anybody got an easy method to get these ingots out?
    Got a better idea for ingots?
    thanks
    just

2. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I found an alum. cornbread stick pan. The one that looks like corn ears. Makes 7 at a time. Only cost a quarter at a carpot sale.
    Each stick weights about a pound.
    I have 3- 5 gallon buckets packed with the sticks.
    A lot more battery lugs coming every week.
    Guess I'll have a few for awhile.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Might try heating the bottom of the pan with a torch while upside down. If you try it let me know.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you got a little propane tourch you should be able to flip the pan over and put a little heat on it id think that should pop them out. works for ice stuck in trays:confused2:

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob,
    I would think that if you put a little heat to your muffin tin the lead should come out. I think I would try to put some heat to the sides of the tin as well as the bottom. I went to the Dollar General Store and bought me a new Teflon coated muffin pan and the lead falls right out of it. I bought me a new melting pot and have been making me some ingots too.
    Good Luck,
    Glenn

6. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i make the muffin pan ingots as well. i spray my pan down with wd-40 and have never had one stick.

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Had to heat it up. The bottom of each cup is speckled with where the lead stuck to the pan.
    Headed to dollar store for a new teflon coated one.
    Thanks Glenn for the tip.