Lead Ingots?

Discussion in 'BUY AND SELL - MAKE $$$ - GET CHEAP DEALS' started by Bigballer, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigballer

Bigballer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Looking to buy some lead. Anyone have some for sale. Wanting to make my own sinkers and was wondering if no one has some if anyone know's how to go about getting some. I know you can use car weights but don't know any other way to get lead. How do you guy's go about getting lead to make your sinkers?
    Thanks
    BB

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Go to a plumber or a junk yard..you can find lead pipe and wheel weights...Or go to ebay and there is this lady whos is sellin lead ingots for DIRT CHEAP and SUPER CHEAP shipping..There shaped as fish and her name is like Gingersnap or something...She has different ammounts for sale...I melted some down yesterday and they are VERY VERY clean!!!

3. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Richard is right on. Ebay is a good place to purchase lead; much better than BPS or other retailers. My brother, the plummer, gets me lead from time to time, but much of the of lead coming from his job sites has a lot of impurities in it making it hard to work with. Sometimes he brings me some sort of vent flashings used in construction. They are really soft lead and are great to work with.

I know many people recommend asking tire dealers about wheel weights, but I haven't found one tire place in my town willing to give away the weights.

The last lead I got was purchased off of Ebay. If I can't wait on a free source of lead I always check there.

4. Bigballer

Bigballer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yea I bought some on Ebay and thought I got an okay deal. Paid less that a $1 a pound but had to buy a large amount. So I was just trying to figure out if there was a place arond like a tire shop that would sale you the old weights or something. I think I have enough for now but wanted to plan for the next batch. Was just wanting to plan now so if like a tire dealer would sale you the weights cheaper then I could go talk to them now and have them start saving. I know when I used to work changing tires we used to throw the old weights away. Guess I will start with my old shop and see what they say.
    Are tire weights basicly pure lead? Thanks for the help guy's.
    BB

5. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Heres what i did...I called in adn he said yea ill sell them for 13 cents a pound..I was drooling and he said i only got about 30 lbs though..I said well thats better than nothing and went up there a bought them...Went home and weighted them over 80lbs..That guy musta been drunk!!!!!...But the catch is i got 80lbs of weights for $9 i gave him extra and ui gave him a bucket with my name and Phone # on it and said ill give you a 12 pack of bud light if you fill up that bucket and call me when it is full!!!He was Glad to do that!!!!!I had to have my mom buy yht beer though..as im 14 and noone at my house drinks so there was no beer at my house>>>

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Best of Luck on the tire shops.Ones around here always tell me they either[reuse] them are employees take them.May be different in you area.

7. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I suggest you look around for a scrap metal recycler. I use Mid-South Metals in my area. They always have lead in 20 lb. and heavier ingots, old lead pipe, and other scrap lead. I use an old cast iron pot with a gas burner to melt the lead, these makes it easy to remove any small quantites of slag. I've never used tire weights but I've had good success with the other sources.

8. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tire weight lead is not pure; can be as low as 60% lead with the remaining 40% of various alloys which stiffens the tire weights. In fact Do-It molds recommends AGAINST tire weights. That being said, many use tire weights, which I'm sure has to do with availability and cost rather than purity of the lead. It'll work, but sinkers may have some wrinkles and sometimes the mold has to be pre-heated. Not good for removable splitshot nor small stuff. Plus if ya heat it too much, ya start melting all them impure and dangerous alloys with their noxious fumes!

Plumbers lead seems to be the most pure.

I 'mined' several hundred pounds of lead from a police pistol range years ago when we shot all lead "wadcutters" from revolvers, which is high in antimony and I have bout' the same problems with wrinkling; having to pre-heat molds, etc. as with tire weight lead. I can however live with the wrinkles; sorta matches my face, rather than buy pure lead at $.80/pound.

Don't wanta sell any as I think the shipping cost would match locally bought pure lead.

MoHunt

9. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    The trucking outfit i work for use's T&W tire in Tulsa and i asked them to buy lead and they told me it was against EPA reg's to sell me the lead. I have bought 5 gal buckets from other tire shops and had to give $20 a bucket full. Tire weights are hard and when you fish below a big dam like i do and hit the retaining wall they tend to come apart. I use a mixture of weights to soft lead to stretch my soft lead out further 1/3 soft to 2/3 weights has worked out good so far.

Foggy :glasses-cool:

10. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use tire weights also but you can also try a scrap yard i know a few that has sold me some in the past dirt cheap but i have not got any in a few mouths

11. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    I forgot to mention that if you have a lock plumbing supply in your area they sell bars of 5 ingots 25lbs for $17 this figures out to be .68 lb lot cheaper than $1.00 a lb. This would be my choice for buying than giving $1.00 lb for lead already cleaned.

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use tire weights melted ina coffee can on a home made bunson burner...and wood molds..bout as crude as it gets...never had one break..they are a little rough but they are made to sit on the bottom..not be framed in your living room loli go throuogh the sinkers so i do not care to clean them up any more..but i wish i had a no roll mold;)

13. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    Jeffroadams take a 4x4 and use a router and route out some slots and make like a bar sinker they wont roll and use cotter pins or coat hangers for the eyes. The thicker you make the slot the heavier the sinker will be.

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks

thats pretty close to how i make my uglies now cept no hole..i usually use a swivel for an eye on my bank sinkers and use them as slips..works pretty good..

15. EAGLES!!!!!!

16. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    have to agree , sinkers don't have to be pretty just do the job...yeah tire dealers around here are starting to reuse the weights being the price of wheel weights is going sky high like everything else..but i still get a bucket full of the totally junk weights....good to know the guys at the local tire shop...usually a six pack will do the job getting the lead lol

17. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my boss charged a man 15 bucks a bucket the other day...i was surprised..never charged before

18. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i paid 10$ for a 5 gallon bucket the other day. the guy told me it was cheaper on him to give them to me dirt cheap than have someone hall them to the junk yard. he said 10 would by some beer for the guys after work, so thats what he charged.

if you cant get it from a tire shop, try a scrap yard or plumbing place.

19. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the long lost sheffey!

20. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Sound safe jeff..lmao...How did you make a bunson burner??lmao...Barlows has no-roll molds dirt cheap and shipping is $6 so they are $36.74 total..and FAST SHIPPING..I ordered mine on tuesday and got it on saturday..Friday wa new years so i couldnt get it that day!!lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.