Lead in car battery for weights

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by billcatfish, Mar 5, 2007.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    just wondering if any of you all have ever used lead out of car battery to make weights with or is there a safe way to get the lead out of them any info would be great

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I'm no physicist but I don't think I would try that. I would believe it would have a lot to do with melting the lead and the acid that is contaminated in the lead that would be a VERY BAD IDEA. JMO

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would but first Make sure to have a plastic [non corrosive work area] then poke a hole to drain the acid out and fill with fresh water and dump several times before tearing open the bat. then it should work .

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

What are you going to do with that acid? That's a pretty bad pollutant. My suggestion is to recycle the batteries so the acid is taken care of properly. plenty of old lead laying around in junk yards and such

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    And just where would you dispose of the acid out of the batteries you tear apart, also where would you dispose of the platic battery case?

If you want cheap or free lead check your local tire shops and take them some donuts.... Most the time they'll give you whatever you want...

Another great place is your local scrap metal yard.... They get in shipments daily and you should be able to get a great deal on it...

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Don't waste your time trying to take them apart. I tried one and that was the last. Most of the lead is eat up in old batteries. Thats why they are junk. Most of the weight to the battery is actually the acid. I would go find you some lead elsewhere.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i bought some lead from the junk yard and after using a bunch of it i found that the bottom of the barrel was all battery lead.i dont know what they did with the acid and plastic but the lead melts and pours.i pour all my sinkers outdoors.johnnie

8. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Don't do it my friend, the lead has to many chemicals in it, one is acid, another is arsenic.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yes, you can make sinkers from the lead you get from batteries. After the demolishing process (good two or three hours) you will probably have enough lead to get three or four five ounce sinkers. The time increases on the disassembly directly co-orelated to the number of trips you make to an out-patient facility or to an emergency room. There are other forms of lead available, and I would strongly recommend you find one of them. You can generally recycle a battery for about $5.00 (I believe) and use that money to purchase sinkers.

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Around here the junk yards sells old lead at .40 a lb and consist of old pipes, wheel weights and some sheet lead. I don't think you'll get enough lead out of an old battery to justify all the work involved in taking it apart.

11. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    another good source for lead is to search the banks that people fish regularly. they leave all kinds of trash and fishing wieghts,hooks,lures etc. and you can get free stuff while helping to clean the bank(just bring a bucket for the small trash and lead,) every once in a while you will come across a thrownet someone got snagged in the rocks and left there. (like I did the other day) that is a lead goldmine. I had to get my hands wet but it was worth it. even small weights that you will not use can be melted together into bigger amounts. I would warn against using battery lead. not from personal experience, but just common sense.

12. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I just recently went to the local Pep Boys and they gave me a 5 gallon bucket full of old tire weights. Have'nt weighed it yet but I would say it was around 60lbs. worth of lead !!! Plenty to hold me over for the summer.:smile2:

13. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    id have to be pretty hard up for lead to tear up a battery for it. try using old spark plugs, nuts, bolts, bumper brackets, hood hinges anything but old batterys:big_smile:

14. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Wrap the whole car battery in shrinkwrap, sealed really well so nothing contaminates and use a very big pole with some stout line. That will hold your bait down even in swift surrent.

15. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    About 15 years ago I put 4 batterys in a brush pile and burned them.I drained the batterys frist and the fire got rid of the plastic but for all that trouble there wasn't much lead so I never did it again.

16. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have had some really bad experiences with melting lead so whatever your source be extremely careful. I thought about the battery deal for a long time but never tried it, lead is a bad enough chemical without the added acid ect. However baking soda & water would kill the acid if submerged and used properly. Thats just a tip if you can not be convinced not to use the batteries.

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Please read the posts from "Individualist" in this thread before trying to use battery lead. It's your choice, but understand the risks.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11234

Partial quote:

"OK here it goes. A spent battery has two parts that are made of lead based compounds. The post and the plates (electrodes). The post will generally be intact but the plates will likely show some degradation meaning they are breaking down, pitted, porous and often crumble when touched. It is possible to neutralize some of the sulfuric acid out using a caustic but getting it all might be difficult due to the impregnation of the degraded material. This leads to the other point I mentioned. (nasties) These are a cocktail of lead-antimony, copper, tin, selenium, arsenic and "lead sulfates" (which has a health risk rating of 3 out of 3 CAS# 7446-14-2 and has about a 90% rating of most hazardous in toxicity and exposure) used to improve the strength of the plates in the battery. Some of these "nasties" accumulate in the body when absorbed, ingested or inhaled and remain in the body forever. Some of them are known carcinogens (cancer). I guess my point was to inform. I've been around this process before and once you get a wiff of it you'll know it ain't good. Lead is bad enough, lead from batteries is worse."

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use tire weights.....

19. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I built a rick with wood to set 4 batteries on then built a bonfire upon it. I kept it going for about 6 hours, adding more wood. I let it sit fpr a day before digging into to find about a half a coffee can of lead that could be used for sinkers. A lot of time wasted on that little bit.

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think that might be a bad idea, what is u going to do with the acid?