Lead from tire shops?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by crazy, Apr 3, 2006.

1. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Any one get there lead for making sinkers and such from tire shops? It seems like around these parts they will not give up the lead. I guess the EPA is on there ass big time. So unless you are EPA certified they wont hand over the goods. Oh well just wondering what everyone else does.

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I get my lead from tire shops all the time. A bag of fillets or some finished weights goes a long way.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Josh, you must have a face like mine. They won't come off any tire weights for me either. I'm a little fortunate and have some spare change. I bought 170 lbs off ebay within the past three months. LOL probably going to have to get more. But, that's the best place I can find... don't want to go to jail for robbing a tire store.

4. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    i work in a tire shop and thats where i get my lead, we dont have any regulations on the wheel weights, we also sell them to some old guy who makes fishing weights too.. tim

5. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    try finding a scrape yard in your area lead usually goes for 13 cents a pound and the lead is usually better than wheel weights and there is far less work not having to remove the clips,

6. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I Get Mine From Tire Shops

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I asked the local wally world and they said no. But a friend that works in the tire shop said sure and gave me a bunch. Also have a friend that manages a tire shop 20 miles away and can get all I want from him. Might just have to keep looking till you get lucky.

8. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I will also pick up solder on auctions real cheap and add it to the lead. It does make the sinkers a little lighter and shinier but when you get supplies for free or next to nothing its worth it. Ive also used old car batteries but found out the lead you get out of one doesnt add up to the hassle of removing it from the batteries.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I get all mine from a few shops and they just give the lead to me.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    My son works at a shop and they do tires and he brings me 1/2 of a bucket full every few days, but you do have a time cleaning it,but it is cheap.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tim, I tried that also. The scrap metal yard where I used to buy lead says they can no longer sale it to the public, so they don't stock any. I'm just SOL about free lead.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well this is a bunch of bullllllll ****. This all must be some big city EPA garbage. I know a garage that will give me lead. Just they don't do a high volume of tires. I'll talk to them when I get some time and see if they can help me out in finding someone for me. Oh well at least I'm not the only one that they wont give the lead too.

13. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Well you guys just put the cabosh to my plans, I just bought a Lee production IV lead melting pot. I still need to get some molds. A guy here in town says he can get DO-IT molds for $24.00. So where do I get lead if not from tire shops. eBay?

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I get mine from a local tire shop too!
    Now you guys know that wheel weights are not pure lead. They are made with about 10 to 12% antimony.It is a natural mineral found in the earth. It periodic weight is just a little more than half the weight of lead. Your sinkers will be a little lite and more brittle. Flat sinkers don't matter so much, but sometimes I will break off the eye on my bank sinkers. Don't breathe the fumes, antimony is worse than lead as it is in the strychnine family.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    JIM F, just because a few of us have faces that may look like federal regulators is no sure sign you local tire shop won't give you lead. All you have to do is ask...you may get lucky. If you buy from ebay, don't pay more than .50 a pound, and thats a lot. Some shippers will pay shipping on orders of around 50 pounds. But, it is still cheaper than buying sinkers from the store. lol

16. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    forget lead

use pebble rig

easier, cheaper, faster, safer

:)

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Has anyone else just used the tire weights themselves for weights. Ive got a couple that has a hole in the metal part. They could easily be used by themselves and was thinking about just using them around snags and whatnot.

18. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i work at a tire shop and i have about 300 pounds of them sitting by my bedroom door lol

19. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i used to get lead from the tire shops too. they used to just give it to ya at big o. the last bunch i got , about 300 pounds, we gave 70 bucks for. that was about 7 years ago. we are down to about 30 pounds or so now and i am in the same predicament that some of you fellas are in. the tire shops are not giving them up. i heard they were selling them back to the place they get em. i have been looking on ebay and it seems like everytime i look, the price gets higher. i havent looked for a few weeks now but i did see it going for around 50 cents a pound! thats just a little steep. i don't know what to do. oh well theyre probably gonna ban it here before too long. i had thought about epoxying some small eyeblots onto rocks and using them. is that what a pebble weight is? gonna have to be some pretty good size rocks for the water i fish.:)

20. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Stephen, please elaborate. We are not familiar with this kind of setup..