Lead for weights

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by HARVRAD2003, Feb 22, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I seem to be lost on where to put new post on this new site, love the site wonderful job--just not used to it yet. I work in the radiology department and I got a large lead filter aprox. 5 lbs. I think however it probably has other metals in it to make it less soft. My question is, can this be used to make weights--I figure when melted the other metals will float to the top, not certain however cause i've never done this. Also I was wondering since it is somewhat soft and about 1 1/2" thick would it be adviseable just to cut it and rig up the weights. Just hate to see good lead go to waste.

2. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Dont know how soft that stuff is but lead is a very soft metal. If you melt it and nothing floats up then just pour that as weights even if something else is in it.

PS: thers alot of info on melting lead in the fishing terminal tackle section.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Randy, if there are any impurities in the lead such as other alloys they will stay in the lead as if it is all one subatance and you will never know if they are there or not. Except if the lead is exceptionally hard. Dirt and other impurities will float to the top and can be dipped off with a ladle. The lead that you are talking about should make excellent sinker material though. I have used trimmings from the panels of a radiology room before and it seemed like it was 100% pure. Vern

4. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Even if it not pure the price is right! Go ahead and cast your weights!

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The lead used in radiology is probably pure. It needs to be as dense as possible, I would think. The trimmings that Vernon uses also has an advantage over the ingots you would normally buy.... The irridescent glow on the river bottom is an exellent fish attractor. :)

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Tommy, the trimmings are cut off of the raw sheets during the installation process. they have never seen any radiation. lol. Vern

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    your lead will be pure. i have a tire guy that sells me lead "old tire weights" $25 dollars for a level 5 gallon buccket full. which is a good deal the only problem is tire weights have a lot of zinc in the also whicch makes the casting brittle i have sevral pounds of bank sinkers that i can not cast with my ssurf gear because the eyes of the bank sinkers snap off after a couple of casts. i finally ffigured out what was going on and started mixing pure lead with tire weights it solved my problems .