lead for Altamaha River

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Ryco10, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Ryco10

Ryco10 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What ounce lead would ya'll recommend for the rapid flowing Altamaha River?

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Have used 5oz flat no roll it sometimes works or go bigger but no roll for sure

3. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Hey Clint welcome to BOC go to member gathering section and get on the list for our gathering at the Altamaha in Late June

4. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I use very heavy tackle so I use heavier weights than most. I use anywhere from 4-8 ounces most of the time. When fishing down in the tidewaters, I have used up to 12 ounces. Like R Ward, most of my sinkers are no-roll.

5. Ryco10

Ryco10 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks fellows for the advice.:big_smile:

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Thinking about coming to the Ga gathering and was wondering if there is any slow water or lakes near the gathering area that has catfish ?? I want to bring my kayak but they are difficult to fish from in heavy current..

7. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    jerry, fishing the main river down there might be a possiblilty or might not. it's tidal and it can get hairy if the river is up. a great place for you is actually right across from the landing. there is a small creek called mary's lake that runs into the altamaha. it winds back through the woods a good ways and even runs under two RR bridges. if the tide is right you can paddle back up there and they paddle back out. some smaller creeks run off of it also. lots of panfish, small channel cats and white cats up there.

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Thanks, I will probably take a run up there soon to check it out.....

9. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Two friends of mine just went down in a kyak this past week. Riverlevel was 9.8 and flowing at approx 4 mph. The left JC Landing and went all the way to Paradise Park. I picked them up there. Took them about 7 hours. They said that going down was no problem but making the turn into Pennholloway Creek against the current gave them a nice work out. My wife and I fished just above the JC Landing and the current was ruff then. Did manage to catch a striped bass on a float and worm however it was not at legal length and released it.

Where is the gathering going to be for the SE Georgia area this year. Would love to get with someone that knows the Altamaha up this way pretty good for some good spots.....
    AJ

Attached Files:

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    June 27-29 at Altamaha Park, Altamaha Park Rd Brunswick Ga phone 912 264 2342

Come join us. R Ward is the one in charge if you need to contact someone.

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo